Formatting Hard drive

jaywash

Baseband Member
I was wondering how I can format my hwrddrive. I want to completely erase everything g off it because I'm switching completely over to Ubuntu and don't want windows taking up space.

I use a bootable program called DBAN. You need to get all your data that you want to save off the drive before booting into that program though because it will destroy all data on the drive you select to be wiped.

I use a bootable program called DBAN. You need to get all your data that you want to save off the drive before booting into that program though because it will destroy all data on the drive you select to be wiped.
I've heard amok DBAN but I don't have an extra disk to burn and I was hoping for a way that doesn't involved extra software, I.e something I can do from the BIOS

You can use UNetBootIn to get DBAN on a USB drive. :)

Edit: The BIOS does not allow for a format.

Also, if you want to install Linux, there is an option in the Linux install process to format and use the entire disk. Booting from the Linux disc image will also allow you to accomplish this.

Did you catch the edit in the above post? It's possible to do this with just the Linux CD.

If you choose the option to use the entire disk, then yes. There is an option (depending on the flavor of linux you chose) to use a "Guided" install when concerning the disk partitioning. This will use the entire disk and take care of the SWAP and boot partitions for you.

If you choose the option to use the entire disk, then yes. There is an option (depending on the flavor of linux you chose) to use a "Guided" install when concerning the disk partitioning. This will use the entire disk and take care of the SWAP and boot partitions for you.
so I should use entire disk? and what is partitioning, ive never understood

this is a guide I wrote on how to partition. Basically, you are logically splitting up your physical disk into multiple disks.

For example. You have a 1TB drive. You can create two 500GB drives logically. Windows on one and Linux on the other. The PC will see them as separate drives altogether.

Partitioning == creating Logical (virtual) disk segments or sections... splitting up your disk into smaller disks while still on the same physical disk.

Back
Top Bottom