My Raspberry Pi Setup

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
So I posted a while ago that I got a Raspberry Pi (I think :confused:), but I haven't really done much with it until recently.

This is what I was able to throw together with old parts for my Pi.

IMG_0433_zpsba0777e8.jpg

Terrible! :)

The Pi is by no means a screamin system. It can handle basic stuff but I even have trouble in another distro of Linux (very specialized use) that takes very little system resources.

I've read of ways to overclock and I purchased the extra heatsinks, but haven't overclocked just yet. Probably won't as it works well enough for what I use it for.

To be honest I'd go as far as to say they're borderline unusable for anything graphical (and I've spent more hours than I care to admit poking around with them!) Overclocking is easy and when pushed to 1Ghz that definitely helps a bit, but nothing out of this world.

The one exception I've heard of is as a media centre - apparently XBMC is very, very well optimised to the Pi's hardware and thus it works pretty well (so I've been told.)

Aside from that, as a low power robotics "brain" it also works very well.

To be honest I'd go as far as to say they're borderline unusable for anything graphical

Booting Kali takes too damn long. I love that I have a small specialized setup just for my schooling 'prac app,' but it really is a pain to use... like you said, almost unusable.

The one exception I've heard of is as a media centre - apparently XBMC is very, very well optimised to the Pi's hardware and thus it works pretty well (so I've been told.)

I've heard the same feedback and plan to purchase another SD card and dedicate to RaspBMC. If it works well enough, I'll probably setup another Pi for use in the home.

I just use mine as a small server for websites. I will get around to a proper robotics project I'm sure, it just won't be soon!

Regard the graphics, they are meant to be toys for kids. It's only really meant to be anle to do simple games!

Regard the graphics, they are meant to be toys for kids. It's only really meant to be anle to do simple games!

I have Minecraft Pi on one installation and it runs extremely well. I think for my Kali setup I need to see if I can tone down render options/settings to save in graphics used.

I will get around to a proper robotics project I'm sure, it just won't be soon!

Be sure to post pictures!

Back
Top Bottom