Macbook Latest OS

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hi Guys,

I have come across a 2007 MacBook which has OS X 10.4 on it and I'm wondering how I find out what the latest version of OS X is that I can install on it?

It'd be nice to go to Mountain Lion but I think that's rather ambitious, I just need something functional, right now half of the Apps I try to install say they need 10.6 or later?

Click the Apple icon  in the menubar and select About This Mac from the dropdown.

The resulting window will show the Mac OS X version number.

It be able to handle the latest version of OS X and probably when mavericks comes out later this month or next it be able to run that.

Are they not limited?

I thought that Mac were limited so a 2007 MacBook couldn't have the latest OS?

Does Apple have any kind of compatibility checker at all?
I know the Mac OS software isn't particularly expensive but I don't want to buy it and find out it wont install?

Also if i'm on 10.4 do I have to go through several different upgrades and does that mean I have to purchase each 1 individually?

It can't I have one and I took it to apple to see of I could upgrade the OS and he said no :(

Does this mean that a MacBook that is say 5 years old maybe even less is practically useless?
Everything I try to install, either installs fine and then launches and closes instantly or says it needs a later version of OS X.

I'm also interested by the conflicting opinions / replies on this thread.

It is a Macbok pro.
So looks like it may be possible.

Heres a question if i aquired a copy of Lion and Mountain Lion and installed Lion on a virtual machine on the Mac Pro then upgraded it to Mountain Lion does that mean it would definitely work on the actual Mac Pro? or not?

Hmm good question, I think it would work. If you do an on upgrading I'd get the current version or wait until mavericks is released.

Back
Top Bottom