Vista Business Update

copiman

In Runtime
I was checking to see where I stood on service packs. Went to the System screen and there were no SPs showing. So I did a check for updates and it came back no updates. I thought this was proper procedure in this case. Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Right Click "Computer" and go to Properties. This should display any service pack information.

IME, I have seen this happen on systems that were in some way malfunctioning, from either faulty Windows core structure or malware. I wouldn't be too alarmed about it but I would run some quick maintenance.

Unlpug your PC and press the power button a few times to flush the RAM.

While booting, press F8 before you see the Windows Loading screen.

Select "Safe Mode with Networking"

Download|Install|Run MalwareBytes and scan for|remove any harmful programs.

Boot into Windows , run a command prompt (Windows Key + R) > Type "cmd" > Enter) and type:
chkdsk /r/f

Allow it to reboot and check the disk for defects. Once able to login, another command prompt and type
sfc /scannow

To make sure that the Windows Core files are not damaged.

This may result in nothing, but any failing process (e.g. Updates) potentially expose other issues.

Right Click "Computer" and go to Properties. This should display any service pack information.

IME, I have seen this happen on systems that were in some way malfunctioning, from either faulty Windows core structure or malware. I wouldn't be too alarmed about it but I would run some quick maintenance.

Unlpug your PC and press the power button a few times to flush the RAM.

While booting, press F8 before you see the Windows Loading screen.

Select "Safe Mode with Networking"

Download|Install|Run MalwareBytes and scan for|remove any harmful programs.

Boot into Windows , run a command prompt (Windows Key + R) > Type "cmd" > Enter) and type:
chkdsk /r/f

Allow it to reboot and check the disk for defects. Once able to login, another command prompt and type
sfc /scannow

To make sure that the Windows Core files are not damaged.

This may result in nothing, but any failing process (e.g. Updates) potentially expose other issues.

Just to add the scan for malware I'd also suggest using ComboFix Download

Sorry for the late response. I am a stickler for posting results. Who knows, someone may benefit from it as well as showing respect to those who had input. My apologies to BK_123 and iPwn.

I installed the service pak separately as was suggested. Then came the updates needed to get it up to date.

Thank ya'll for your help. You have helped me before and glad your here.

Back
Top Bottom