First Digital SLR

Yeah I was looking at this: Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II Lens (2514A011AA) - Wex Photographic

looks like a rather cheap first add on but that probably wont be for another couple of months yet.

Yeah, definitely get that. It's pretty well known for being an excellent, cheap lens. It even has nicknames. People tend to call it the "nifty fifty" or the "plastic fantastic" (the build quality is kind of terrible, but it takes great pictures.)

It works on EOS film bodies too. Pick one up when you get the lens. The lower end rebels sell for practically nothing. 50 on full frame gives you a much better angle of view, plus shooting film is always fun.

Thanks Guys,

It is due here tomorrow!
I'm getting it delivered to my work tomorrow, so i'll have a good old play and them i'm gonna take my dog for a stroll and take it out with me so I hope to post some pictures soon!

OK I've got it and I've snapped away lol.

I think my work computer monitors must be absolutely awful though OR my cheap nasty convert from CS2 to JPEG program is destroying colours?

I take the picture, the colours look nice and vibrant etc and the screen on the camera it looks great.

Transfer it over to my computer and it convert it to JPEG and the colours just look so dull and miserable.

I've attached 1 here.

Either the conversion process or the monitor is destroying my viewing pleasure, but it's only my work computer, will see what it looks like when I get it home!

Attachments

• IMG_0023 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0023 (Small).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6
I'm not sure if a program as old as CS2 will have a profile for your camera. I used to have to run my images through a DNG converter on the rare occasions I shot RAW.

Why are you even shooting RAW anyway? It doesn't matter in the majority of cases. Plus, photoshop's converters always seem to do worse than the camera's jpeg engine at colors. There are a few cases where shooting RAW actually matters, but I doubt a newbie is going to be encountering them. Just put your jpeg setting on the highest quality level and use that. Makes things way easier.

Also, what is that picture? All I can make out is that it's some sort of pastry thing.

I'm not sure if a program as old as CS2 will have a profile for your camera. I used to have to run my images through a DNG converter on the rare occasions I shot RAW.

Why are you even shooting RAW anyway? It doesn't matter in the majority of cases. Plus, photoshop's converters always seem to do worse than the camera's jpeg engine at colors. There are a few cases where shooting RAW actually matters, but I doubt a newbie is going to be encountering them. Just put your jpeg setting on the highest quality level and use that. Makes things way easier.

Also, what is that picture? All I can make out is that it's some sort of pastry thing.

That is the finest Jam and Cream "Doughnut" from good old Greggs.
I say doughnut coz i'm not sure why they call it a doughnut but it's literally just something I bought on lunch and thought, hey why not!

In terms of RAW I like toying with my images in Adobe Lightroom afterwards and I've heard that there is more flexibility with RAW than JPEG.
It's not Adobe converting the images for me, it's a program called "CR2 Converter". I know i'll have a check on this forum on my iPhone to see if it's the conversion or monitor.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Nope to be honest the quality isn't a lot better on my iPhone, I may post that picture again when I get home and export it to JPEG through Lightroom.

That is the finest Jam and Cream "Doughnut" from good old Greggs.
I say doughnut coz i'm not sure why they call it a doughnut but it's literally just something I bought on lunch and thought, hey why not!

In terms of RAW I like toying with my images in Adobe Lightroom afterwards and I've heard that there is more flexibility with RAW than JPEG.
It's not Adobe converting the images for me, it's a program called "CR2 Converter". I know i'll have a check on this forum on my iPhone to see if it's the conversion or monitor.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Nope to be honest the quality isn't a lot better on my iPhone, I may post that picture again when I get home and export it to JPEG through Lightroom.

RAW does give a bit more flexibility, but that only really matters if you-re /really/ messing with things or if your photo is basically maxxing out the sensor's dynamic range (or your exposure sucks). Learn how to properly expose and use lighting, and you'll very rarely have a situation where it matters. Try it out and decide for yourself if you really want. Your camera should have a setting that saves both a JPEG and RAW image. Apply the same edits to both, and you'll see that the quality difference is negligible, except in extreme situations.

If you're editing every photo, use a program that can natively take your camera's raw files, and have the space, then you might as well go for it since it won't hurt you any. If not, it's usually not worth the inconvenience, especially if you're just learning.

Canon should have a RAW converter available somewhere (most manufacturers do, I think.) Adobe also has a program that converts to .DNG for use with older versions of photoshop. Assuming it's been updated to support your camera (mine is rather old, so haven't been checking), this would probably be your best option. It still gives you a RAW image, just in a more usable format.

If you're using this "CR2 converter" then editing, there is no point whatsoever. Straight out of camera jpeg will be better than a jpeg created by some random third party software. The point of RAW is that you can import the uncompressed image data directly into your editing software.

Also, calibrate your monitors. You can get a kit for this fairly cheap. TN panels won't be perfect, but it'll be a whole lot better than the awful out of the box settings.

Last edited:
If you're using this "CR2 converter" then editing, there is no point whatsoever. Straight out of camera jpeg will be better than a jpeg created by some random third party software. The point of RAW is that you can import the uncompressed image data directly into your editing software.

No sorry, I'm at work at the minute and I have no photo software on here at all so I took a couple of RAW photos then went to put them on my work PC and realised I couldn't because they were RAW, I so I downloaded this quick and nasty CR2 converter to get JPEGS from them.

At home I will be taking all of the RAWS straight into Light Room then exporting JPEGS

No sorry, I'm at work at the minute and I have no photo software on here at all so I took a couple of RAW photos then went to put them on my work PC and realised I couldn't because they were RAW, I so I downloaded this quick and nasty CR2 converter to get JPEGS from them.

At home I will be taking all of the RAWS straight into Light Room then exporting JPEGS

I see. That makes more sense. I doubt this converter is giving you good images. Have you tried the canon raw codec? This would let the computer display RAW images without the need to convert them. It's apparently pretty terrible about compatibility though, so YMMV.

I think i'll just wait until I get home, I don't plan on bringing my camera into work again, so it's just me being impatient!

So Heat is the subject of the new photography thread is it :)

I may enter or I may learn to use my camera bit more first!

Back
Top Bottom