new graphics card ran the shut off and wont turn on

stb

Solid State Member
I just installed a nvidia gtx 660 in my computer. It ran well for about a half hour I was watching the temp and it never went above 59c. Then it randomly shut off midgame but I was able to restart. I turned the fan % up to 25 (thinking it may have been overheating) and started playing a game and mid game it completely shut down and now it will not turn back on. I tried to reinstall the old graphics card and it still did not start. I believe everything is getting power because the light on my graphics card is still light up green but the computer will not boot up at all.

• Your graphics card did not overheat.
  • Any other reason why you suspect it might be your graphics card?

Im just assuming it is the graphics card because I just installed it today and this is the first time ive had an issue with losing power

No like nothing happens no fans no noises no lights (other than the green one on graphics card) and it did the same thing when I switched my old card back in

Stupid question, did you plug the six-pin power adapter into the video card?

Yes the 6 pin is plugged in I had to buy a molex cable adapter for 2 4 pin to a 6 pin because my power supply didn't have any 6 pin connectors. The power supply is a 500w

is there any way you can try it all on a different PSU. if yours is a not a bronze80+ psu or min of 80+ psu then that could be your issue.

Any local computer shops that can test the card and PSU for you?

how do i know if my power supply is a bronze80+. im not sure if there is anthing local that could test it and this is my first computer so its my only psu. All i know is that after the install the card was working fine for about an hour and then the whole system shut down randomly and i was left with a blinking harddrive light and the light on my card was still illuminated. but when i try to reboot i get no power to any of the systems whatsoever making me believe it is the psu. it does not give me a blue screen or an error message but nothing will power up at all.

Back
Top Bottom