Driver Power State Failure on sleep or hibernate-Windows 7

leonard787

Baseband Member
My Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 laptop will crash and give me a BSOD every time it goes to sleep or hibernates. It started happening after I plugged in a USB optical drive and hasn't stopped since. Whether I put it to sleep myself or the battery gets too low it will give me the error. I analyzed my dump files and told me it was happening in the kernel. I'll try and upload the dump files later if I get a chance. Anyone know why it would do this?

Hi,
Did you managed to fix this problem, I too am having the same problem for the laptop model Dell Inspiron 17r - 7110n

If you could reply the actions taken to resolve the problem so I could try them that would be great.:flowers:

My Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 laptop will crash and give me a BSOD every time it goes to sleep or hibernates. It started happening after I plugged in a USB optical drive and hasn't stopped since. Whether I put it to sleep myself or the battery gets too low it will give me the error. I analyzed my dump files and told me it was happening in the kernel. I'll try and upload the dump files later if I get a chance. Anyone know why it would do this?

Uninstall and reinstall driver for USB optical drive.

I didn't install a driver for it manually, would I need to find the driver that Windows attempted to install for it? I don't know which driver I was looking for

Hi, I disabled the Nvidia graphics card driver from the device manger to diagnose fault by elimination tests. This action solved the problem completely and am now very sure the problem lies with the Nvidia graphics driver. By disabling the Nvidia graphics driver the default Intel cpu/gpu is still used. Suggest every one experiencing this problem giving feedback and describing problem direct to Nvidia by opening the Nvidia icon application ( bottom right) and giving feedback. Give model number of gpu - NVidia GeForce 525M. The problem has been there for the last couple of driver releases therefore an older Driver will solve the problem too until they fix latest drivers.

I will research on the Dell community forum and Microsoft forum too and confirm here on this thread.

:cool:

Last edited:
After initially thinking rolling back the nvidia driver fixed the problem, the problem of BSOD is still there when hibernating, sleep mode or shutting down. When the laptop is freshly rebooted, there is no problem to hibernate or shut down the laptop. However if applications are run such as browser or windows media centre, only then does BDOD on hibernate, sleep or shutdown occurs. I noticed too when I used Windows Media Centre for a while and then close the application, when shutting down the laptop the display show shutting down Windows Media Centre....even though I closed the application. It appears this app is not shutting down completely when closing the app. I will un install the app and reinstall. something to eliminate from the check list as I continue investigating fault.

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom