External hard drives connection types

STICH626

Solid State Member
Hello, sorry if this is a stupid question but.
out of the aval connection types Ethernet/usb/firewire, What type sends the data faster, or does it even matter and is limited to the internal motherboard "bus" speed.

downloads” / “uploads
USB Hi-Speed (USB 2.0) 480 Mbit/s 60 MB/s
FireWire (IEEE 1394b) 800[39] 786.432 Mbit/s 98.304 MB/s
Gigabit Ethernet (1000base-X) 1,000 Mbit/s 125 MB/s

Most extenal drives will be usb and you would want usb 3.0

FireWire technology losed popularity and many new computers do not come with this type of connection. Even high-end machines will come with either a USB 3.0 or an eSATA connection.

What are you looking to do, what its gonna be used for etc.

music storage, going to use my old desktop that I bought and bought a laptop at same time and basicly never used the desktop..
so going to make this into a music server basicly..
other than cooling/fan/vents would the unit being on it's side affect the h/d reading from the platters?

You'll be fine with any HDD connection. Most new External HDD's come with 3.0 but depends on your PC's support (look for a blue port).

If you want it as a server might i suggest a NAS drive, this means all your PC's can connect via you home network and you benefit from the faster ethernet transfer rate (if wired connection).

Finally if you do get a HDD, most externals come with a sleep function which powers down the HDD after 5 mins of inactivity, which can be annoying if you want to access info quick, the seek time take a while. An app call NoSleepHD is pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom