Keeps shuting down

copiman

In Runtime
I have a Compaq Presario C500 (Laptop). It keeps shutting down after 10-15 minutes. Also when I try to get on internet or do updates. I turned off reboot when an error occurs to see the code, but now it just shuts down, no code. I ran Speccy and my CPU is at 92 degrees C, hard rive at 42 degrees C, mother board at 89 degrees C.

Anyway to find a code that will lead me in the right direction?

The temps point to overheating. Using a can of compressed air, blow the dust out of the vents of the laptop.

Disassembled laptop and found a hair ball preventing the exhaust of hot air. Now that its all cleaned up, it still get too hot and it shuts down. The fan is working. Can the heat sink paste being old cause this? If so, any ideas where to pick some up other than ordering online?

Yes, I did remove the heat sink. BestBuy has it and I will pick it up tomorrow and apply it. Will post outcome.

Thank you for helping me. I need all the hands on I can get.

Just make sure that you thoroughly clean all of the old thermal paste from the heatsink and CPU using rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth before you apply new thermal paste.

OhSnapWord, you rock!!!!!

Cleaned up the old paste and applied new. I am within range of the appropriate temps.

Back
Top Bottom