My modem

jcruz

Beta member
Hello all! This is my first post on your forum. Seems like a good place to find information. I have a question, so here go's; I have been having issues with my internet at home. I am currently using a Motorola sb5101N modem. The past month or so I have been having issues where my connection just drops. It has happened while downloading mmo's and sometimes just regular surfing with my smartphone. It happened again today. What happens is my connection drops. There will only be one light on the modem lit up. But slowly all areas will come to life ( receive, send, online, pc activity) without the need to reboot the modem directly. Ive called my isp (cox communications) and they told me my modem was basically on its death bed. They said since I have had the modem for nearly 5 years that its time to invest in something more up-to date. Im not sure if they are just trying to get me to purchase one of theirs (they tried) or if the modem issues was caused by me downloading something like 4 or 5 mmo's that ranged anywhere between 3 gb to 15gb ( mmo; Rift) in the past 30- 45 days? My modem has always been very reliable up until recently. So, can someone help? Apparently cox uses docsis 3.0 and I believe my modem is 2.0 (I think).

5 years is a long time for a router, well any type of tech really so yes it probably needs changing. But i would buy from them. The tech in routers has moved on in the last five years, especially wireless tech so replacing it should see better speed, reliability and range.

But i have no idea wot would be best bang for your buck in the U.S

5 years is a long time for a router, well any type of tech really so yes it probably needs changing. But i would buy from them. The tech in routers has moved on in the last five years, especially wireless tech so replacing it should see better speed, reliability and range.

Sounds like his router is fine, his modem is the issue.

Personally from what you've said jcruz I'd agree with the ISP. I'd check to see if cox will sell you a modem and for how much. Otherwise stores like bestbuy, walmart and target all have modems for good prices, you can get a good DOCSIIS 3 modem for about $80.

Ok. Yes, my router is fairly new, around 6 months maybe. But my modem is pretty old, but seems to work ok up until recently. Thanks for your advice, Ill take a look at Best Buy and see my options. I was considering renting one from my ISP, but it is $7 a month. If I stay with Cox over a year and am still making rental payments, then I have in essence, paid for the modem. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "paying the modem off" with cox. It is an ongoing rental fee until I purchase one.

It does sound like the modem is knocking on heaven's door. You might be able to work something out with your ISP where they send you a new modem and you send them the old one, not having to pay anything.

Do they do that? That would be pretty awesome if they did, but I doubt Cox would be so generous. I bought this awesome gaming PC last year and I guess I am not getting the most out of it. But I guess that explains the sometimes slow connection. Oh well, time to shill out some dimes and quarters, a lot of each.

*I meant modem not router..lol and i meant wouldnt buy from them.

Back
Top Bottom