Update problem

copiman

In Runtime
I was having a problem every time an update installed. The update was the 2007 Moicrosoft Office Suite Service Pak3 (SP3). It was downloaded automatically. When I installed it, which it failed, I could not boot. I could however boot in safe mode, where I had to do a restore to make it able to boot normally. I finally down loaded System Update Readiness Tool, and all update came in and installed successfully, including 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 3 (SP3).

My question is the update for the 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 3 (SP3) is still showing that it is available, so when I shut down it will try to install. This little sucker was the one causing all my problems. Anyway to get rid of it? I did hide it, but was wondering if I can make it go away completely, or is hiding it the only option?

No, did not try to uninstall and reinstall. Do not have the cd. The only thing I have for this laptop is the laptop.

My thought was since the update in question has successfully installed by using the System Update Readiness Tool, I did not want it to try and install again. It may be ok to let it run its course, but due to the fact that I was about to pull my hair out, I did not want to create any more problems. Just wanted to try and remove it permanently from the available updates to be installed queue.

Go to add/remove programs and see if it's there. If it is then uninstall it. Then reboot.

This happens when you let windows do auto installs. If you have anything running at the time it will fail. To install service packs for software and OS's you must turn everything running off. Antivirus and other software running in the background will interfere with a SP install. You download it then go offline, then run through your system turning off running software. Then install the service pack.
This was a big issue with XP SP2. If the system was not prepped correctly the SP install would fail to install or not install correctly.

Thanks setishock. When you say turn everything off, do you mean open apps? Or do you mean turning off all services except Microsoft services? Can you elaborate on this? I would like to know the details, for I have seen a lot of update failures since I started working with computers. And quite frankly, its very annoying.

Just whatever appears in the tray. Like right now I have Intel utilities, Reltek sound, Eset security, Core temp, and Intel turbo boost monitor over by the clock. If I had any programs to the left like firefox or anything else I call a one click startup, all of them get closed. Then install the service pack.

Update:

I was able to get all the updates loaded. Seems trying to load approximately 150 updates was just too much for this laptop. It has 6G of ram with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz. Not sure if it should have been able to handle such a large update or not, or if it needed to have a particular update installed before other updates. I was just selecting all at once.

Here is how I was able to get all the updates to load. Starting at the top of the list, I selected the updates by groups. In other words I selected all the updates that had the same name. In some cases there would be about 30 with the same name, but each would have different numbers in parenthesis at the end. I would select all of them, regardless of the number on the end, and install. First set went well, then the next, and so on, till all were successfully installed.

If anyone has additional input on this I would appreciate your input. Although I was able to get the updates loaded, I would still like to know why I had to do it this way. Trying to learn.

Thanks everyone for your assistance in this post. I learned a lot on this one. Even stumbled and learned things not related.

Glad you got it sorted.

There were ~150 updates for the suite? Or for Windows and everything?

Update:

I was able to get all the updates loaded. Seems trying to load approximately 150 updates was just too much for this laptop. It has 6G of ram with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz. Not sure if it should have been able to handle such a large update or not, or if it needed to have a particular update installed before other updates. I was just selecting all at once.

Here is how I was able to get all the updates to load. Starting at the top of the list, I selected the updates by groups. In other words I selected all the updates that had the same name. In some cases there would be about 30 with the same name, but each would have different numbers in parenthesis at the end. I would select all of them, regardless of the number on the end, and install. First set went well, then the next, and so on, till all were successfully installed.

If anyone has additional input on this I would appreciate your input. Although I was able to get the updates loaded, I would still like to know why I had to do it this way. Trying to learn.

Thanks everyone for your assistance in this post. I learned a lot on this one. Even stumbled and learned things not related.

Posted wrong: I am so sorry :eek:. This update, the one above, I posted was actually about another PC I posted about :eek:. I guess that's what i get for trying to multitask. This was about a PC that I replaced the hard drive and loaded 7. As soon as I loaded the LAN driver, it tried to update about 150 updates that would fail on most, about 95% of them, every time. That is why I broke them down into groups and they loaded fine. Very time consuming but it worked.

As for my original post, I selected "hide update" and it does not show as being available any more. Was just wondering if there was a way to make it go away permanently. All seems to be fine right now.

Again, sorry for the confusion. This is embarrassing. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom