Will KVM Switch work w Sony Vaio?

phzkfsz

Beta member
I have a Vaio VPCL2 All in One (no DVI or VGA ports). I want to use its' monitor to display content from my laptop via a KVM switch. Can this be made to work? I was looking at the ConnectPro UR-14-Plus (VGA). However, if anyone has been able to make this work, I will look at another KVM switch. A lot of my confusion surrounds the use of the adapter (HMDI to VGA for the Vaio). Which to choose. Will I loose audio, etc.

First of all I think you're misunderstanding what a KVM switch does. It switches the video, keyboard, and mouse from 2 computers to 1 monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
What you have in mind won't work anyway. Unless the all in one has a "video in" like HDMI or DVI or even VGA, you can't connect to it.
You'll have to get another monitor to connect to the laptop.

THANKS for the reply! My goal is to share my Vaio 'all in one' monitor and its keyboard and mouse with my laptop. The Vaio does have an HDMI input port.

I don't think you can do that in the manner you're thinking. You could remote in to the laptop from the all in one using remote desktop.

If all you're wanting to do is have a larger screen and a regular keyboard and mouse you could use the HDMI out on the laptop to connect to the all in one screen. HDMI has sound but likes to hesitate for a few seconds playing sound if it's been silent for a while. That's normal.
USB keyboards with a mouse can be had for reasonable cost from office supply places or WalMart.

Back
Top Bottom