First time at building a gaming rig

I have a mountain of paperwork to do. Today's payday for my crew.
As soon as I get done I'll poke around some more. In the mean time have you installed your video card yet and does it take an external power connection?
If you have done that already pull the plug out of both ends and see if CPU is stamped on it.

Ah, no, wait, I found it. It was in the bloody bag all along. :p I thought I tipped everything out....

Last edited:
0k, this is it. I've installed absolutely everything except the graphics card. Cooling system is installed with arctic 5. All wires have been plugged in as per the manuals. There are a couple of loose cables still hanging around but that's about it. I think I'm ready to turn this thing on. Is there anything important I should check before I do, or should I just follow the motherboard's first-time boot up instructions (basically monitor first and cross your fingers)?

Ok, well, I think this thing is running really well. I am disappointed with the solid state drive and am considering sending it back since it doesn't really seem to have made the computer any faster than I would expect from a regular drive. The graphics card, however, defiantly is going back because it turns out it was a GTX 680 in a 760 box.

SSD speed is relative to what software you're using. For example, I use PrintMaster to make odds and ends around the office. When on the mechanical drive it would take about 20 to 30 seconds to finish all the font reading and database setup. On the SSD same amount of time. The software has some age on it and to be blunt, it's clunky.
However, Office 2013 is a totally different story. On the mechanical drive 15 to 20 seconds. On the SSD by the time the second click on the mouse was done, it was on the screen.
It's relative to the program.

As for the vid card, was it cellophane wrapped when you got it? If not they may give you a hard time. Where'd you get it?

It was wrapped and sticker sealed, but looking at pictures of the card I've found online I think they may actually have loaded 680 firmware onto a 760 card. Even though my computer's hardware manager and Nividia's own smart-detect says it is a 680, the pictures of the 680 amp just don't match what I've got, but the pics of the 760 do. If that's right, I'm amazed I can actually get a picture at all.

Am I right in thinking that even though the 680 is more expensive the 760 is better?

Last edited:
So some previous numbered cards are better than some later numbered cards? Wow. That makes their numbering system pretty useless.... :p Well, 0k, that would be really great, but I don't think I have actually got one of those since they are a lot longer and look different. I think this is actually a 760 with 680 firmware. Which is bizarre.

To be honest, I think this would actually be really cool if I actually had a 680, but I don't think I do as it looks like this:

b2146.jpg

And the 680 looks like this:

zotac-gtx-680-amp_top.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Since I will probably be sending it back becuse of the firmware problems, would it be a good idea to buy a single 680 card instead?

0k, well the guy thinks they installed the wrong firmware and they are taking it back. He was really nice about it too and let me keep the Splinter Cell games that came with it. I may well end up ordering a different card and was wondering what one I should get. I'm willing to go up £100 to the 680 if you guys think it is really worth it? Apparently the 780 is a similar price...

If not I'll just get another 760 Amp and hope it was just that card and not a bad batch.

Back
Top Bottom