Random Chit Chat

Spent some time using Win8. About a week and a half. I liked it once I got used to it. It does work well. I did not have a touch screen. Once I sorted out where everything was and how to access everything, it was quite nice. I used the keyboard shortcuts more than ever. I don't mind it at all, once you are used to it. That being said, I try not to recommend it to anyone still. It takes a certain level of willingness to try new things and to adjust your own thinking about things to get to know it and to start to like it.

This is how I started off using it but without a touchscreen. I like the desktop and the task manager is nice. I plan on buying it for my laptop but when I build my PC I don't think I'll put it on there but I might.

I worked with windows 8 again yesterday. I don't have it on my computer or I would have it by now. It's getting easier. I don't care for the touchscreen side of it so I go to desktop mode. I finally figured out that at the bottom of that you can display all apps. I've had probably 10 minutes of time total on windows 8 and that is only because my friend who always needs something simple done has it and I've had to find things on it. It's something I'm sure I would get used to I just don't know that I will ever like it. To me it is just way different than any of the other versions. I know it is the same old thing with a new GUI, I just don't want a touch screen. I don't want to feel like I'm at an ATM or something. It's a computer not a menu.

Setitopia

Ok I got real bored today. I did this on word 2013 so the formatting may be off a tad.
Lead in:
Sempai is disgustingly, stinking rich. But is just the same as before he came in to the money. His gadget called The Widget is something like Star Trek's mnemonic circuit. Right add ons and programming and it does anything. It went hog wild world wide and he became a multi trillionaire. And the money just keeps rolling in.
He buys an island and moves him and his company over to it. His heart's in the right place still so he gives some things away and others he makes cargo ships full of green backs off of. He's happy to just chase tail on the island and make sure things get taken care of. Other than that his built like a brick outhouse all female staff takes care of everything else. Including sempai.

Now what I wrote today:

A speech made by sempai on October 28, 2100 to the United Nations full membership. When I say full, every one of the world's country's representatives was in attendance. Even if sempai had to fly them in at his expense.

He stood at center stage and that night the world stopped what it was doing and paid attention. Brothers and sisters of planet Earth set aside their differences to share television and radio sets. On trains, planes, ships at sea, all ears were on what he had to say.

Although he was the single most wealthy, the most powerful, the most influential, war, famine, disease, and poverty were just beyond his reach. But that didn't stop him. That night he made a speech to the world that touched the very soul of any one that heard it.

That night, he set us free…

To all the representatives of the United Nations, Good Evening. I am honored to be here amongst you once again. To every living soul within the sound of my voice around the world, greetings and salutations.

Tonight I come to you with incredible good news. I'm not going to say we discovered a cure for another disease. Every citizen of the world knows what we're doing in our efforts to wipe out the major diseases. AIDS and some forms of cancer now have a working cure that isn't so hard on the patient. AIDS and STDs have been almost eradicated. We gave the world the results of our research and didn't ask anything in return except to take care of your people. For free. We gave grants to those who didn't have the facilities to give the treatments or manufacture the vaccines. We work shoulder to shoulder with world health and food originations to insure everyone gets equal access.

I even wish I could stand here and tell you the revitalizing of the rain forest was going well. It's not. But with the same determination we give everything else we do, we'll get dialed in sooner or later. Our atmosphere needs its Amazonian rain forest.

I am pleased however, to report our intelligent fabric is doing rather well. Sales of products made from it are rather brisk to say the least. (Reporters note: Some of the ladies in the gallery were seen blushing. Seems the fabric was used to make under garments. Apparently sempai was trying to lighten the mood.)

On our island we have labored long hard years with several goals in mind. To free the people of earth from what is troubling them. The key as we see it are four simple things. Food, shelter, clean water, and electricity. Through our research in agriculture crop yields around the world are higher. Our synthetic building products are lighter and cheaper to make and use. We have brought in partners in the forestry industries to make and sell those products. Our water purification and desalination process under a license to manufacture to partner companies, is well on its way to easing the thirsty mouths around the world.

But the last item, electricity, has been the hard part of the four. Building plants. Getting lines routed to consumers. Coal, oil, hydro, or nuclear power. Then on top of all that, where to build the bloody things. Where leads to logistical nightmares. That is all in the past.

I come before you tonight to inform you that Seti Enterprises has captured a star in a bottle. A tiny little star of immense power. Yet it poses no threat to us. Its sole purpose, to serve man as no other creation has before. Safely, cleanly, cheaply. I'm talking about cold fusion reactors. Large enough to be able to serve a broad consumer base. Yet small enough to set up practically anywhere.

Some of the science world scoffed the idea. It'll never work they said. But some had a vision and by providing many really smart men and women a place to work, and yes the megabucks to do it, they pulled it off. Safe, clean, cheap power. I know this will piss off the oil and coal industries but so be it. There are a lot of other products that can be made from crude and refined coal and petroleum products. We're not trying to put any one out of business or their employees out of a job. We want to show them their products can be used in other ways. Just to be clear, all of our patents are registered in every country of the world. And we will not tolerate any one trying to bully us in to not releasing the reactors for sale.

We, I, have no thoughts of world domination or harbor any delusions of grandeur. The reason I asked everyone to be here tonight and for everyone to listen to me, simply put, is the solution to the problem of power for the masses has been solved. How to implement it now that we have it, is up to you.

The door to the future has been opened. Will you have the courage to step through it?

Good night whomever you are. Where ever you are.

I have known sempai for many years. Even before his Widget gizmo took off. Who knew it would take the world by storm like it did? But he hasn't changed much. The little he has, has been for the better. He's much more focused now. He gives money away for worthy causes and projects by the truckload. His only real extravagance is his home. A reproduction of a feudal era Japanese estate. It's been modified to two stories. It was approved by The Board of Governors for Japanese Architecture. They are quite pleased how it turned out. Its state of the art interior is so well concealed you have to know where the controls are hidden. Or be in the house AI's database. She runs the house amongst other things.

The island he bought still hums along as planned today. Its beauty, unrivaled anywhere, is based on old Japan landscaping. Trees and flowers everywhere you look. Carefully manicured to breathtaking splendor year round. There are shops and restaurants well scattered out. Apartments for interns and visitors. Small subdivisions for permanent staff. And the beach is something to behold. It goes on for miles most of the way around the island. The sand is clean and has had the company's no-stick treatment done to it. You can roll in it naked and it falls right off.
And since they work on some seriously heavy duty stuff, security is pretty tight there. Babes on the beach in little bitty bikinis that would make short work of Riback. The rest is patrolled by robots and hidden bio metric gadgets. His idea is to have it out of site so it's out of mind.

So all in all with what all has been accomplished, money spent versus the money coming back in is meager. But you have to take in to consideration that meager there is more than some countries yearly defense budget.
Until next time, be good to those around you. May never know if it's sempai testing you for a position on the island.

Last edited:
So my IT dept where I do my certificate course had another clean out of old gear, An old server, server rack, Two old Compaq Evo D510 and few monitors. Decided I'd take one of the desktops and monitors, Had no parts, So I rummaged in box of parts and found everything I needed to get her going again. Specs are:
219p4zm.png

Back
Top Bottom