Connect to wireless printer from another location

stefan-west1

Baseband Member
Hi all, I am going to uni in a few weeks but need help setting up my printer back at the office. Baiscally I run a business and print all the invoices out in the office so that they can be sent with the items. The problem I've got is I'm taking my pc with me to uni but need to still be able to print the invoices out at the office from my pc at uni. What would be the easiest way to do this, I have read things like setting up a vpn etc. but not to sure how to do this?

Also forgot to mention it is a wireless printer connected to the router which is a BT homehub

Many Thanks

Stefan

Who's going to get the invoices out of the printer and pack the items? What if it runs out of paper or jams? Too many hoops to jump through and way too many what ifs.

My idea is just to set up an email account and email the invoices to that. When you get back to the office log in and print out the invoices. Or give some one there access to the account and have them print out the invoices. Make sure your name is on the invoice in bold letters so you get credit for the sale.

Sorry probably should have said. I have a packer to keep an eye on the printer and sort the parcels etc. but I print the invoices directly from the accounts software which only I have access to for security

I belive you could use Google Cloud Print to do what you want. Register the office printer on the Google server and then you can send items to it from your computer at uni and they will be printed on the office printer.

You won't be able to print directly from the accounts software though, you will need to print to a file then send the file to the server.

OhSnapWord - Thanks for that. I didn't realize that Google had developed a printer driver to be able to access their Cloud print server. Learn something new everyday!

Yeah but it only works through Google Chrome. So you have to install their browser to be able to use it.

Hi everyone sorry to bring up an old thread. Google cloud print works ok but it's just a bit awkward having to leave the computer at the office turned on all the time. It's a wireless printer connected directly to the router so surely there's a way of connecting to that and printing it that way?

Back
Top Bottom