Windows 7 or 8?

Muzik Mama

Beta member
Hi everyone. :) This is my first time here and I am hoping to get some feedback on what OS I should buy.

I am ordering a new Dell Desktop and I'm NOT sure if I should go with the Windows 7 (which I have on my laptop) or go with Windows 8. I've heard different things about the 8 but not enough of it so that I can come to a decision. I've heard that it is a little better in the way of not being so 'bloated' compared to the 7 ..........and then I've also heard that it's not very good. (I'm not interested in having a touch screen so it won't matter there either).

Again, just hoping for some feedback please so I can go ahead and order....It is VERY much appreciated. :thumb:

Thank you,
Karen

Last edited:
I have used both extensively.

Design-wise Windows 8 is designed for machines with touch screen -- regardless if you actually have it or not.

Performance-wise it is not significantly better or worse than Windows 7.

If you have a choice, i.e., you can get Windows 7 on the computer of your choice easily, please go with that.

First of all Welcome to CF :)

I've tried Windows 8 out and I love it and am going to buy it. It's more for touchscreen devices than devices without a touchscreen. It's take a bit to get used to and work out how to use it.

The only part of Win 8 that is even really usable via touchscreen is the Start screen. Once you get past the Start screen, it's pretty much like Win 7 and a touchscreen becomes a hindrance rather than something useful. Touchscreen works OK on a small screen device like a phone or tablet but when you get into larger screens used with laptops and desktops then having to remove your hand from the keyboard, reach up to the monitor then make large arm movements in order to do something that could be done with a small flick of the wrist using a mouse productivity is impacted greatly.

I have used Win 8 since it's earliest Customer Preview and find that it works perfectly well with a mouse/keyboard, not so well with a touchscreen.

Right now i am favoring Win7, but not far from now Microsoft's biggest service pack ever will be released for Windows 8.
(it's called windows 8.1 for some reason.. properly to fix it's "not so good" reputation. usually it's called "SP1". Like Windows 7 SP1)

This update should fix most of the complains that windows 8 have gotten.
So must bad things you read about it will be ether fixed or improved.
If i were you i'll actually go buy windows 8 and be looking forward for the update.

If youre a home user, Win 8 should be fine if your an office, Id hold off for the moment. Personally, the little Ive used Win 8 I hold it in the same regard as Vista - just not quiet as good as the previous O/s ... just an opinion

I used 98se, XP, Vista, and Win7. Not had a problem with any of them. However Win8 is a different story. It's like some one took a cell phone OS and ported it over to run on a PC. One of my crew has 8 on her laptop and it, to me, is so convoluted it's difficult to use.

I sure wouldn't use it in an office. I'd be cussing at it all the time.

I used 98se, XP, Vista, and Win7. Not had a problem with any of them. However Win8 is a different story. It's like some one took a cell phone OS and ported it over to run on a PC. One of my crew has 8 on her laptop and it, to me, is so convoluted it's difficult to use.

I sure wouldn't use it in an office. I'd be cussing at it all the time.
Couldnt agree more

... It's like some one took a cell phone OS and ported it over to run on a PC. ...
I think this is where MS has failed, they haven't gotten across to the masses that Win 8 is a dual interface OS. The only part of Win 8 that is cell phone OS like is the Start screen with it's Metro apps. The beauty of Win 8 is that you don't need to use the Start screen or Metro apps, there's still the familiar desktop that can run all of your familiar software.

In Win 8 the desktop is a single mouse-click away and in 8.1 things can be configured to boot directly there. If you're one that absolutely must have the Start button then you are going to need to install a 3rd party app because the Start button has gone by the wayside. The 8.1 update does include a Start button but does not include the menu system that everyone is used to seeing. Clicking on the Start button in 8.1 simply takes you to the Start screen.

I recently purchased a new laptop and went with Win 8. I run the same set of software on my Win 8 machine that I run on my Win 7 machines without issue. As long as you stay away from Metro apps, there really isn't anything that much different about Win 8.

A word of warning to users. I have had many of my friends ask me for help with Windows 8. It has a number of issues with networking, and 8 pro has a few issues with the DNS.

Seems a number of drivers, printers and graphics namely, have been playing up. Overall I don't mind the system, performance seems ok etc, but this is very overcomplicated for your average user. Having to alternate between screens (the tile menu or the desktop) is confusing for the best of us let alone basic users.

Microsoft has tried to turn the PC community into a tablet community, and they simply reject the idea. I would say wait for 8.1 to see if a few of the negatives have been fixed.

Back
Top Bottom