Remember Your First Build?

my black and red beast?
yeah i am happy with it.
The red LED in front was actually blue. so i soldered a red one on instead.

we sure have come a long way sense 8mhz CPU :)

My first build is actually the one i am using right now.... well.... some of it is anyway.
everything from the case, HDD (using SSD now) GPU, PSU and cooling has been changed.
I still use the same CPU, Mobo and RAM. But that is about to be upgraded... when i have the money.
You see, my car just broke and i have also invested in some reptiles and reptiles equipment. so i got to lay low for a time.

It takes balls to use a single ssd well unless its over 300gb

well... i use SSD for everything but to store my videos and films. (also 2gb music and some installation files)
I have 500GB of media. can't have the on my SSD ^^
I have a 256GB SSD and i am currently only using half of it.

so actually i still use a HDD, but it's not my primary.
Having an SSD makes SO much difference ^^

Last edited:
My first build was an 8Mhz 8088 with 640K RAM, 20M hard drive, 360K floppy drive, CGA video card, 150W PSU and DOS 2.1 in 1985 or so. I used a really cool case with a hinged top that could be opened easily by pressing a release button on either side. The Twaiwanese made motherboard came with an ERSO BIOS that was marginal at best so I used an eprom reader/burner to copy the BIOS ROMs from an IBM XT. This resulted in a machine that was 100% compatible with an IBM XT (complete with BASIC interpreter in ROM) but ran almost twice as fast since the IBM machine ran at only 4.77Mhz. I later replaced the Intel 8088 cpu with an NEC V20 which was a clone of the 8088 but ran about 15% faster.

A genuine IBM XT sold for $4,995 but I built a machine that was twice as fast with twice as much disk space for around $1,800 (the 20M hdd alone cost $500).

ibm_xt.jpg

Since then I have built and owned machines with just about every generation of Intel CPU (as well as a few with AMD cpus) in them but I'll never forget my first.

Mine was kinda similar, Tandy kit but no actual hard drive but the old five & quarter floppies used for OS boot & storage.
Other PC's were commodore Vic20 & 64 before moving onto the 286's 386's etc.

Those were the fun days!!!

Mine was kinda similar, Tandy kit but no actual hard drive but the old five & quarter floppies used for OS boot & storage.
Other PC's were commodore Vic20 & 64 before moving onto the 286's 386's etc.

Those were the fun days!!!
My first computer (didn't build it) was an IBM PC with dual 360K floppy drives and no hard drive. The PC and XT were similar in that they both ran the 8088 cpu at 4.77Mhz but the XT came with a 10M hard drive while the PC came with 1 or 2 floppy drives. The XT had eight 8-bit expansion slots whereas the PC had only 5 slots.

Using a computer that had only floppy drives, or cassette or paper tape for storage was certainly different than the systems we have today with giga or tera bytes of storage.

Back
Top Bottom