fan installation help

cdawg

In Runtime
i'm trying to install a total of 7-8 fans in my tower i have spots for them just don't have the ports i only have 5 ports thats for the fans currently hooked up please help if it's possible too add more fans i have an sabertooth 990fx mb i have a link to youtube of what my tower and mb looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVkVd5Tx28k&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
What type of fans are they? 3 or 4-pin PWM? If 3 pin, you can get a fan controller to mount in the drive bay. If they're all 4-pin PWM and you wish to have them controlled by the motherboard, try one of these:

Rosewill Model RCW-FPS-401 - Newegg.com

I have one and it works pretty good.

You should have one more fan port near the USB 3.0 header.

Last edited:
thank you they where going to be 3 pin fans but i may just switch them too 4 pin since it looks easier and cheaper too do

PWM fans generally cost more than non-pwm fans though. It all depends on your preferences.

I have used fan controllers and like being able to manually adjust the fan speeds.

My current rig uses all PWM fans that automatically spin up when things get hot. I prefer PWM fans myself.

In my personal opinion:

Some canned air and cable straps would be at the top of my list.
If the radiator already has a fan on it why add another one. If it doesn't pull enough air through it then a higher volume fan is in order. As for the PCI cover plates and the grid to the left of them running down the side, the best thing is to get some black duct tape and mask them up. That's the last thing I did to mine after putting it all together. They're air leaks and they do affect the air flow. It's a short circuit to the exhaust fans.

As for the fan behind the power supply that's a subjective call. Me? I'd mask it off.
And that fan in the front is just in the way. Take it out.

Now as for the fans you have in it and considering your post is basically wanting to add fans to cover what you interpret as a heat problem could be resolved by replacing the fans in the roof with higher performance models. I gave these Cougar Vortex babies a go in my recent built and couldn't be happier with them. Quiet while moving large volumes of air. COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 12CM Silent Cooling Fan with Pulse Width Modulation (Black) - Newegg.com

You don't always have to add extra fans to over come a heat problem. Some times cleaning the inside will take care of a lot of it. Canned air and a 1" horsehair brush work wonders. And sometimes it's as simple as swapping the current fans out for better performing ones. But please, try cleaning the inside of that case and tidy up the wiring. It does make a difference.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

well if i did keep the 3 pin could this fan controller work
Free SHIP NZXT Sentry 2 5 25" Touch Screen Full System Fan Controller | eBay

Need to read reviews on those types of products. I did. The DOA and high failure rate made me think twice about getting one.

The reason I am getting more fans is because I wanna overclock my computer and I wanna make sure it stays cool

CPU cooler is liquid right? Only thing I'd do is get a higher volume fan for the radiator. Maybe better fans for the roof vents.
The trick to great air cooling of a case is to create a slight negative pressure inside. You do that by have the exhaust move a larger volume of air than is coming in. Where ever there is an intake vent large gulps of air will be screaming in. Passively. Any where there is a leak will (sometimes) whistle like a banshee. Those are the ones you take you handy dandy roll of cloth duct tape and seal them up. Adding fans in a haphazard fashion is not going to get you the results you're looking for. There's a science to it. Read up.

i don't think it is i have no pump or anything i didn't build this computer nore do i know much about it

Back
Top Bottom