First Build!!

The_GreatN00b

Solid State Member
I'm looking to build my first computer and I need some help. I'm trying to build a gaming pc that is mid - highend. My budget is somewhere around $1500 but I might be willing to spend up to $2000.
Please help so I can join the glorious world of pc gaming, and so I don't mess it up getting the wrong parts.
Try to be easy on the lingo as I'm just getting in to building.

Thanks

To build your own, you must start somewhere. The motherboard, the CPU, and the graphics card must work together. A good gaming PC needs a good graphics card more than anything else, so perhaps you could look for one that you like (with your budget you could aim high), then look for a motherboard that works well with that, then a CPU that works well with the motherboard. Now you have your basic backbone.

Don't go cheap on PSU. Use one of the power supply calculators on-line to calculate roughly how much power you need, then multiply it by 150%-ish.

You also want to consider getting SSD for storage to cut down on your game's loading time. Keep in mind that size does matter for SSD in terms of speed, i.e., SSD with larger space is faster than SSD with smaller space. But there usually is little to no difference between 256 GB and 512 GB, so 256 GB is a good cut-off line, for now.

You need about 4-8 GB RAM. You don't need to go over 16 GB RAM for a gaming PC.

You also need a good case for cooling. And good keyboard, mouse, and mouse pad.

Post back what you've found (with links), so others can check and comment easily. :)

NICE GPU CHOICE. :)

Select 1600mhz gaming dual channel RAM. Example

You have selected the older 3rd gen I5 processor, but for a few dollars more you can get the 4th i5, and i would spend the extra dollars and get the unlocked version (K model) Example

The mobo you selected was horrible (sorry)

Heres one to go with the 4th I5, msi Z87

500w isnt enough power for this build. need at least 650w.

Slightly cheaper cpu cooler, but still very good. cm 212+

Cheaper LG blu ray

Not sure on case but reviews arnt that bad so it seems ok. lol

And id would look at Win7 pro

Hope this helps (and i havnt pushed it above your budget!!)

Last edited:
I agree the MB is bad. The chipset is a H67.
Besides a uATX doesn't have all the PCI-e slots. If you wanted to add another vid card you'd have to get another board.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

I was watching a video on youtube by newegg where they build a computer with HDD & SSD and they install windows on to the SSD so it all loads up faster, is that a good idea for me in my build or should i use the SSD for just game files.

Thanks again

Also for the CPU would I have to get the K model, because there's virtually the same CPU that's $20 cheaper ( http://ark.intel.com/products/75048/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz )( http://ark.intel.com/products/75047/Intel-Core-i5-4670-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom