Change boot drive

danowner

Beta member
Ok, so i bought an SSD yesterday, got it all set up and installed my windows 7 on it, but now when i start my PC it asks for the hard drive i would like to boot from, and instead of having to select the first one all the time (my SSD) i would like to know how to make the old HDD not even register as a boot drive. Should i just delete system32 on the old one? or the users account? please help!??!

Try this:
  • Run msconfig
  • Go to System Configuration > Boot
  • Do what you need to do there

dale you don't set primary boot drive from msconfig. In order for the system to read the msconfig instructions it has to boot up one of the drives. Which drive is set in the bios.
@danowner
Go in the bios and set the ssd as the boot drive.
The reason it's asking you which drive to boot from is because the system is seeing 2 fully functional OS drives. If you need to use the old drive as storage just format it.

Last edited:
Uh, please give it a try seti, it really works. All he has to do is go to msconfig > the Boot tab; delete the boot entry that he does not want to boot from (he should see two in there at the moment); then voila, all set.

When you installed Windows to the SSD, did you first disconnect the old hard drive? When installing Windows, setup looks for existing installations and if it finds one, it doesn't write a new bootloader as it already exists.

Back
Top Bottom