Building a mining rig/computer, How does this look?

microzee

Baseband Member
Okay so I'm building a computer, partly to use, and partly to use for crypto-currency mining. I currently can't afford radeon 7950's, but will eventually buy two. Also, I'll just have an intel i3 for general computer use, nothing heavy. I might upgrade later.

Please see the list here and make sure I made good choices:)

I own some hard drives, should have some cables and pc fans laying around. The processor comes with a heat shrink right? And it doesn't come with a fan right? What's the difference between various mobo's? Are radeon's compatible with intel mobo's?(noticed it says amd so I'm not sure) I don't have to have a GPU right away, because theres an integrated GPU right?

Am I missing anything?

I've done a lot with computers and electronics in general, and decided its time to tackle my own pc build.

If I want to continue mining, i might eventually get up to 4 GPU's. I would buy another psu, and get some PCI-e riser cables. It appears this mobo only supports 2?

Thanks

~|-Microzee-|~

Last edited:
Because there is a simple solution! See here:)

except I will pick one up at a office store for 6 bucks.

Last edited:
:lol:

Do yourself a favor and protect your hardware with a quality case. Too often, people skimp on the case.

haha okay, I'll pick one up. Does everything else look okay? What about my questions?

your expansion plans are beyond the capabilities of the parts your buying? pretty sure that cpu would bottleneck the performance of Sli 7950's and the mobo your buying only supports 2 cards.

and that chip supports pci e 2.0 but thast card supports pci e 3.0.

and the mobo chipset B75 is for small businesses.#

You need to keep saving.

I'm not sure if your familiar with mining but the setups always have great GPU's and crappy CPU's. I saw one setup running an AMD sempron 145 with four 7950's. The mining programs use little to no CPU power, but they push the GPU's to the max.

Anyways, the mobo has PCI-e 3.0, but if I use a 2.0 device, it will still work, I just won't be getting the maximum speed. Why do you say the mobo is for businesses? Does it matter? It looks to be a pretty good mobo for the price. I'll decide later whether buy a different one that has 4 PCI-e expansion slots.

So if I'm right I don't need to keep saving, and I can start buying:)

Back
Top Bottom