Built in router IP changing question

Madmatt9797

Beta member
Hey, this question isn't for me - i know how to change my IP via mac address, but my question is..
if someone with Cox communications has a wireless router built into their modem so they don't have a D-link or anything like that, do they have a router/modem configuration page I.E 192.168.*.1? could they access that page and change their mac address, if there is a page?

Hey, this question isn't for me - i know how to change my IP via mac address, but my question is..
if someone with Cox communications has a wireless router built into their modem so they don't have a D-link or anything like that, do they have a router/modem configuration page I.E 192.168.*.1? could they access that page and change their mac address, if there is a page?

If you go to your command prompt (Start > (Run, if on WinXP or lower) > type cmd.exe and press Enter) and type
Code:
ipconfig /all
and look for your default gateway, that is the IP of your router. Type that into your browser and you should get to your config page.

Note though that a modem/router combo rented from an ISP might not have a user-accessible config page. One I had of these didn't, it just showed a white page.

If you go to your command prompt (Start > (Run, if on WinXP or lower) > type cmd.exe and press Enter) and type
Code:
ipconfig /all
and look for your default gateway, that is the IP of your router. Type that into your browser and you should get to your config page.

Note though that a modem/router combo rented from an ISP might not have a user-accessible config page. One I had of these didn't, it just showed a white page.
answered my question on the last part there perfectly. yea i know the ipconfig /all i know all this stuff, but was just wondering on a modem/router combo as you said and it's dependent on the ISP. thanks alot

What the outside world sees is set by your service provider.
I'm curious though about why you'd want to change your IP address. Get banned some where?

What the outside world sees is set by your service provider.
I'm curious though about why you'd want to change your IP address. Get banned some where?

You can change it, I always change my IP via Mac Address - but as the question specifies it's for someone else.. she keeps getting DDoSed from kids that think it's cool and it's starting to piss me off. I can't even watch the livestreams as everytime she streams they kick her offline, and in her case she has a router built into the ISP's modem.

I myself always had a router, and a modem two different units; not built into eachother, so i'm not familiar with the router/modem combo which is why i'm asking if you can still config it like that, but the guy above answered my question that it's dependent on the ISP and how they set it.

Last edited:
You can change it, I always change my IP via Mac Address - but as the question specifies it's for someone else.. she keeps getting DDoSed from kids that think it's cool and it's starting to piss me off. I can't even watch the livestreams as everytime she streams they kick her offline, and in her case she has a router built into the ISP's modem.

I myself always had a router, and a modem two different units; not built into eachother, so i'm not familiar with the router/modem combo which is why i'm asking if you can still config it like that, but the guy above answered my question that it's dependent on the ISP and how they set it.

Is it even allowed to run a server on this person's account? Many home ISP's have a clause in their TOS that says you aren't allowed to run servers from a home network.
If it is allowed, I'd call the ISP and have them try and change their external IP. The only real solution to the DDoS attacks is not to publicly show the IP.

Back
Top Bottom