RAM Upgrade for Dell Dimension E310

I re-read the thread and see that I probably have misunderstood what you meant.

I thought: you already have one 512 MB RAM stick at 533 MHz; you want to add another 1 GB RAM stick at 800 MHz. Now this would be a very bad idea.

But it seems like you want to replace the 512 MB RAM stick with the 1 GB RAM stick. If this is the case, by all means, go for it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes. I will remove the 512mb stick and put in the 1GB stick. There are some on ebay that are around $10 with free shipping. Do you have any experience with those or recommendations?

Like all goods there is the occasional faulty product, but in general RAM sticks are pretty safe to purchase on-line and/or change yourself.

(BTW, I agree with BK, if you can upgrade to 2 GB, you should.)

Keep in mind that 2 GB × 1 is better than 1 GB × 2. You really want to keep it simple and avoid mix and match to the best of your ability with RAM.

Keep in mind that 2 GB × 1 is better than 1 GB × 2. You really want to keep it simple and avoid mix and match to the best of your ability with RAM.

No, I think I'd prefer 2 X 1GB RAM. But if I just buy 1GB @ 533mhz and inserted with my existing 512MB @ 533mhz RAM, I would have 1.5 GB RAM. That will work right?

Back
Top Bottom