Creating new SNMP mibs

Bucky24

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I've been tasked at work with exposing various metrics for our software through SNMP. I've not really worked with SNMP much, but through various googling, I've managed to come up with the following MIB file:

Code:
IDB-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

IMPORTS
        MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE, Integer32, enterprises
            FROM SNMPv2-SMI
                 OBJECT-GROUP FROM SNMPv2-CONF;

idb MODULE-IDENTITY
    LAST-UPDATED   "201307300000Z" -- Midnight 30 July 2013
    ORGANIZATION "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
    CONTACT-INFO "email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
    DESCRIPTION "xxxxxxxxxx"
    REVISION "201307300000Z" -- Midnight 29 July 2013
    DESCRIPTION "First Draft"
::= { enterprises 42134 }

test2 OBJECT-TYPE
 SYNTAX         Integer32
 UNITS          "tests"
 MAX-ACCESS     read-only
 STATUS         current
 DESCRIPTION
        "A test object"
 DEFVAL { 5 }
 ::= { idb 3 }

testGroup OBJECT-GROUP
  OBJECTS {
          test2
  }
  STATUS current
  DESCRIPTION "all test objects"
::= { idb 2 }
I can run snmpwalk -v 1 -m +IDB-MIB -c public localhost:161 .1.3.6.1.4.1.42134.3 and see in the debug information that it's finding the correct MIB file, and it doesn't give me an "object not found" error.

However, I can't figure out how to make it return a value. All that snmpwalk will display is "End of MIB". I have a feeling I'm missing a fairly important step, something to do with "compiling" the MIB, but every tutorial I've read assumes that's already been done and doesn't give any information on how to do it. Can anyone provide me with a link or any information on how to do this?

Once I've gotten this simple number to display, I need to make the output be the result of a script, so if anyone can give me some pointers for that, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Actually I am realizing that this should be in the Server Administration forum, rather then Networking. Can a moderator please move this thread?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom