Working with Computers

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
Evening lads/lasses,

It's been pointed out that I've been scarcely posting lately, I'd say that's primarily because I spent so long working with PCs, I don't get much time to play with my own!

I suppose a good section of you work in IT/ICT/Tech, do you like it?

I find it has somewhat removed the fun for me, Corporate IT is far less than fun in my opinion, How I envy the chaps who work for companies like NVIDIA! :lol:

Hey,

It certainly can sap the fun out it but that depends on the company more than the job role itself.

I've been in development for about 3 years now and the first year was awesome, I worked for a small 5 man company that listened to my ideas, took them onboard and let me go ahead and develop them. These were exciting new ideas.

Now i'm more just doing what i'm told and tapping away to non exciting projects.

I've been in software development since 1986. Programming is now just a job to me and I rarely do any in my spare time. I do like to tinker with my computers and other gadgets in my spare time though.

I only have 1 year on my CV as working with computers and only 5 years of interest in it.
I work at a school. so my day goes as following:

• Answering dumb questions and some half intelligent once in a while
  • Give IT related advice
  • Fixing IT related stuff, musty software issues
  • Make scripts that
    • Prevent students from messing things up (We don't have a central server anymore that i can access. So no group policies for me to play with)
    • Makes things easier to do.... like choosing the right Fu**ing printer :banghead:
  • Unpacking and setting up new equipment

It's not all bad actually.
i am THE one that is in charge of all IT. So it's fine. also teachers and other students thinks i am a computer genius :D :lol:
So my job is not so bad :)

I also help out our school janitor with stuff. he is a great man. i like working with him

I have lots of time on my hand when i am free from work. so i still have my interest going just fine.
My main interest is gadgets, phones and hardware.

Last edited:
Hey,

It certainly can sap the fun out it but that depends on the company more than the job role itself.

I've been in development for about 3 years now and the first year was awesome, I worked for a small 5 man company that listened to my ideas, took them onboard and let me go ahead and develop them. These were exciting new ideas.

Now i'm more just doing what i'm told and tapping away to non exciting projects.

Also worth pointing out that big doesn't necessarily mean bad in this sense. I spent a year (a few years ago now) as a software developer for an incredibly large, multi-national pharma company and had a lot of my ideas listened to, taken on board and implemented. The working hours were flexible, the environment was great, the contacts and friends I made there were knowledgeable and friendly and there were ample training opportunities.

I still enjoy the problem solving aspect of working in IT (software dev). You do need a constant challenge though otherwise you will stagnate.

I don't work with computers, I've done a few "repairs" if you can call it that. Replacing parts etc... I was just the only person out of my friends and family who had any kind of interest in computers or anything related. People always seem to just use them until something goes wrong and I had picked up some basic things that could be done to keep a pc clean. People, that I knew, would call me when something was wrong. So over time I became more interested in how things work. What components do what and how can I build a pc. As a career or hobby I think it is fun and beats the heck out of working with Psych Patients. I just want to be able to assess a system and be able to fix it. And to build super fast PC's...within the limits of my finances.

Back
Top Bottom