Upgrades and alterations to my rig

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Thinking about getting one of these StarTech PEXSAT34 Controller Card - Newegg.com to expand the amount of SATA III ports. All my drives are SATA III and with only 4 SATA III on the board I maxed that out pretty quick. I've got a couple more drives put up I got right after the build and would like to put them to use.
I know it's pricey, but for how many ports at speed it has and the reliability it's worth it to me.

Another thing I'd like to do is transfer the 3TB drive out of the MyBook enclosure because of intermitten drop outs. It's appears to be a pretty common problem with a lot of the units.
I've used Vantech before and other than it's annoyingly bright power/activity LED, it worked as advertized. Its sleek aluminum enclosure finished in a smooth sexy high gloss black, makes it blend with my desk goodies.
Also the metal enclosure acts as a heatsink. However there is another model that sports a cooling fan, but I don't think it'll be required for my purpose.
Vantec NexStar 3 SuperSpeed 3.5" SATA to USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure - Model NST-380S3-BK - Newegg.com
Besides I want to use the drive not keep getting annoyed when it drops out.

Any comments or alternatives?

What do you mean by drop out? Sounds a bit scary!

The USB connection disconnects. Then a short while later it reconnects. The window pops up asking what I want to do. Basically it's unplugging itself then plugging itself back in.
I read up that the USB to SATA interface built in is the culprit. You'd figure that's the reason there's so many videos on YouTube explaining how to get it apart. I want to keep it portable and reliable so I'm going with the Vantec housing.

Been training a new desk staffer so had to put it off. I'm about to test the limits of how far the owner here is going to let me fold, spindle, or mutilate the company polices.
This should be good...

As soon a the brown stuff clears the fan I'll get back on it.

Been training a new desk staffer so had to put it off. I'm about to test the limits of how far the owner here is going to let me fold, spindle, or mutilate the company polices.
This should be good...

As soon a the brown stuff clears the fan I'll get back on it.

Ahh training new staffs how fun..

Back
Top Bottom