Computer Randomly Restarting

BK_123

Golden Master
Hi guys, My computer all of a sudden is starting restart itself, No BSOD's or anything like that, Its happened whilst playing sims..

Happened to me yesterday while playing NFS Shift 2.

I just presumed it was an overheat, so my PC switched of to prevent damage.
Could also be a quick HDD failure.
Worst case scenario your PSU is on its way out.
Driver issue, check sims is fully up to date, and Direct X and all the rest of it.

Any chance you could of accidentally lent on the reset switch?

I wouldn't worry to much over just one time :)

Sorry for replying so late, I think it maybe my hard drive as the health of the is bad according to crystaldisk info, To save time I was thinking of cloning the drive or should I just install a new drive and a fresh install of Windows?

Restarting without a BSOD rules out software issues.

Two most likely causes:
Faulty PSU
Overheating

Get a program like CPUID and run the game in Windowed mode and just watch the heat. If it reaches a plateau of <100 then it's not heat. If it just keeps climbing and then dies, you can see where the overheating is occurring. Either your mainboard, CPU or GPU are about to puke on you.

I would side against PSU being faulty simply because the Windows boot process should expose that as each component is succinctly fired up and reaches Max Power Draw during the initial 'firing.' However, that's not to say that you don't have a short somewhere on the PSU logic board.

Start with the proggy above and then isolate the issue with known good parts.

Back
Top Bottom