wrong driver installed ?

depature

Beta member
i took my computer in the get fixed and when i got it back they didnt format my (D) drive which has much more memory than my (C) so when i formated it myslef it was all fine untill i relised everything was being saved onto my smaller drive (C) is there a way i van make everything save on my (D) drive ?

im sure its cause they installed windows on the smaller drive but ill doouble check here.

Welcome to CF!

There's a few points here...
1. You actually want the Windows installation on the smaller drive and then all of your data on the larger one. This segregates your core installation files and required files from personal files. If your PC pukes on you, then it's very easy to re-install Windows (or other OS) without having to hunt and find all your personal data.

2. Do NOT install Windows on D. It's not that you cannot do this, but the drive letters are more impacting to Windows than you might think.

Each program you install, you can specify where those data files should go (e.g. C:\Program Files). Depending on how small your main drive is, this could also be an option but you start to lose performance depending on the hosting drive's R/W speed among other factors.

How large/small are we talking about? You can easily maintain Windows and most all installed programs on a ~60-80GB drive. Then keep all your personal files on the larger secondary drive.

i usaly save all my programs, documents ect to my (D) drive but i get some programs that dont give me an option were to save it like some games that i download my c drive is 111gb and my d drive is 1.81tb this happend before with my games and i tryed to move them over to D drive but when i try to start its says i might need to reinstall. is there a way i can move programs ect from c drive to d drive without having to reinstall or risk loosing them ?

thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

and does everything i save on my desktop go to the driver that has windows installed ?

You're not going to be able to simply move a program without updating the Windows Registry. To do that, you'd damn near need a walkthrough from the software company on where all their crap is stored in the registry...

Re: Drive Size
A Windows installation should only consume ~30GB on it's own.
'Typical' program install consume <1GB with the exception of Games and high end Editing software that can take up to 15GB (e.g. Diablo 3)

Re: Desktop
Yes, all information on the Desktop is stored in C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\Desktop
I would (and do) not use the desktop at all. I use a program called RocketDock (freeware) and simply put my links to the actual location of the data there. Keeps the desktop clean and my C drive unadulterated by personal stuff. As mentioned in a post elsewhere, this really helps prolong Windows' stability.

Back
Top Bottom