Question about partitioning HDD

pike8

In Runtime
For the last 15 years or so, I have been avoiding to partition my drive. I always used the same partition for Windows and data, so the system reinstalls can be pretty long and tiresome. But I didn't mind that much, I reformatted every 7-8 months, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Lately, my PC gets stuffed more often because of work, and I have to reformat more frequently. So, I decided to finally start using partitions. :)

I am planning to reformat soon, and want to make partitions in the process. I will be using one system only for now (Win7x64). Could anyone please tell me is there something I should now about the process. Should I just make the partitions when formatting my HDD at the beginning of Windows installation, and that's it?

Thanks.

Yes you should make the partitions when formatting the HDD and installing Windows to save you having to do it later.

if you have enough free space, i think you should partition before formatting.
And it's very easy:
type diskmgmt.msc in command prompt , right click the hard drive you wanna shrink, shrink it, then you'll see a new available hard drive. Easy to go from there...

Partitioning in Windows 7

However,
I had the same dilemma and here's what I do now.

All data is on an internal secondary spinning disk drive. My folder structure is.
Account [docs, media ... Etc]
Software (drivers, programs, etc)
Sort (all browser dl's / other dl mgr's point here)

Then in libraries I just have the appropriate library include there too (or only) and create additional libraries as needed... You can point to the data however you wish.

My main drive is 256gb SSD and contains only windows and program installs. This also helps me keep track of windows' stability and prolonged my regular reinstall intervals.

I have other devices that that are partitioned as they have multiple OS' so it's still useful to know and can be fun , context permitting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom