DVD drive slows down operations

atomichybrid

In Runtime
Hey all,

I have this weird problem, whenever I open iTunes the load up is delayed when the software is trying to detect the DVD drive, even though theres no disc in there.

This also happens on anything that might relate to the DVD drive like the "File" menu on Media Player Classic, theres a delay for the menu to pop down after there drive detects that there is nothing.

I dont know if I explained my situation correctly, Ive tried typing a few phrase describing my problem but no results show favorable relation. Basically my software is delayed for a bit while detecting any optical media and then proceed to the software load up.

I want to know what causes this and if there are any fixes to this issue. My laptop runs Windows 8.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

EDIT: not all software are delayed, so far only happens in 2 programs I have installed.

I dont think its software specific, my old laptop never did that when ever I opened iTunes and MPC. Had a look at the website for my laptop at ASUS and theres no firmware for the bluray drive.

I'm still looking into it, thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming so I can test them out.

Cheers

@dale, yeah I just had a look at it and its currently not on any region, it has 5 attempts. I know its a random thought, would regions matter?

Cheers

I am guessing (again, random thoughts) the slowness is contributed by not being able to identify the correct region. In which case this is more a problem with your hardware, i.e., DVD writer/player, than software; but you might be able to fix it by making the software region-free -- just a thought, I am not sure how to achieve this. Not familiar enough with MPC or iTunes to be helpful. :)

I see what you mean, so even if I did set a region according to my country then it would be possible to fix it or not?

Cheers

I am guessing that it should. Following the same rationale, the longer loading time you are seeing is from trying to figure out the region. If the region is made known, there is no reason to seek it repeatedly, and so the loading time should be shorter. Just a guess though. :)

Well, I set the DVD region and the load up still persists, so it wasnt the region conflicting the software. I may have forgot to mention that I installed virtual drive software like Alcohol 120%, dunno if that is another cause for the drive to act up. Could it be possible? Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom