Why do people buy windows 8 if they're just going to tweak it to windows 7?

breebreebran31

Solid State Member
People go out and spend 200 dollars on windows 8. Then they try so hard to make it exactly like windows 7.
They want aeroglass back. They want a start button. They want to load straight to desktop.
And I just don't get it. Why did they need a new operating system when their old one did everything they want?

Because they have to have the latest, greatest thing from M$. When they get it then reality sets in.
They find it's modeled after a cell phone OS and while geared toward a touch screen those who don't have a touch screen for their computer get frustrated.
I have to say those who try it and have trouble with it are the most vocal about its short comings.

Who pays $200 for Windows 8?

I'm one who bought a laptop with Win 8 on it and didn't do much tweaking to it. I don't use the Start screen or Metro apps but go straight to the desktop and work from there. I don't use any 3rd party apps like Classic Shell to restore the Start button because I don't miss it.

The Start screen and it's associated Metro apps might be cellphone OS like but that is only a small part of Windows 8, underneath it's a pretty much like Windows 7.

Or they don't have a choice when they buy their computers but can't afford to buy a copy of 7 after the fact? When I bought my laptops I had no choice but to put windows 8 on them. If I wanted to put 7 on them I'd have to buy a copy myself.

I'm with celegorm. I recently purchased a laptop for my mother. I did not have a choice for my budget (USD ~750). I had a few choice from small brands, but otherwise I could not buy a laptop without OS or Windows 7. I know at least three big brands still have them mainly for corporate customers though, i.e., the "business laptops" (USD ~1,100).

On top of what everyone else said, everything I've heard about Windows 8 is that it definitely has speed improvements over Windows 7. Plus, it has some new features (like the new task manager) that are pretty nice.

It does make some sense to buy Windows 7 instead of 8 if you're buying the OS for your computer, but if you're just buying a new computer it doesn't make sense to buy a copy of Win7 if it already has Win8.

On top of what everyone else said, everything I've heard about Windows 8 is that it definitely has speed improvements over Windows 7. Plus, it has some new features (like the new task manager) that are pretty nice.

It is very good, I've tried it out for myself and I like it. Once you tweak it and add he start button if you really want its great. Its very fast when booting up.

I haven't bought a MS product in 10 years. Everything I have runs linux or bsd. Debian stable on my netbook, Debian testing on my main rig, Arch on my laptop, Free BSD on my ftp server, Xbian on one raspberry pi, Raspbian on my other pi and pfsense for my router. Does everything I need and cost me $0 and 0 cents.

I haven't bought a MS product in 10 years. Everything I have runs linux or bsd. Debian stable on my netbook, Debian testing on my main rig, Arch on my laptop, Free BSD on my ftp server, Xbian on one raspberry pi, Raspbian on my other pi and pfsense for my router. Does everything I need and cost me $0 and 0 cents.

I've been headed that way for a while. By the time Windows 7 reaches eos, all of my computers will be linux. Except for my 2350. I just need something with XP on it to remind me of the days when no one gave a shit.

@OP
Conduct any sociological study and you're going to find the same behavioral pattern... we like new because of the term, we like old because of the comfort-ability in the mental normality pattern(s) and cycles.

@Cele et al,
I'm not sure when this expires, but [most] Windows 8 laptops have the option to downgrade to 7 (need media) using the 8 key.

@Particleman
Try developing WPF apps with a free IDE... nobody likes paying M$ moar money, but some of us more or less have to. :(

Re: Start button
"Just let go!" ~ Tyler Durden
xD

Back
Top Bottom