Steep FPS loss after 5 Minutes

palmerdanie38

Beta member
Recently I have had issues with games losing FPS after 5 or 10 minutes of gameplay. I will start the game at 60 FPS and then it will drop to 30 and then go downhill from there. I'm pretty confident it's not overheating as the temp on the gpu never gets above about 40 C. I am not getting any other ridiculous percentages with cpu usage or heat or RAM usage. I am playing on Ultra and have turned graphics settings down but there is no change. I have this problem on most games from Fallout new vegas to FTL the only difference is the rate at which it occurs.

CPU: I3 3220
GPU: GeForce GTX 650 Ti
RAM: 8 gb

If you are running games that need a lot of CPU power then an i3 processor won't do, You need an i5 or i7..

You say the temp on the GPU is ok - is the CPU temp ok as well? If it's fine for the first 5 minutes it seems unlikely that it's a lack of horsepower causing the issue.

My first thoughts are (temps aside) that it could be a driver issue, or some other software interfering with the program. I've also seen similar behaviour on a GPU that it turned out was slowly dying - so don't rule it out just because it's not getting hot, it could still be the GPU at fault.

you said it went from 60 down to 30.. and then goes down from there.
maybe disabling Virtual sync will help in case it's driver issues.
if it helps you can remove the "GPU slowly dying" possibility.

I did a clean install of all the drivers and this seemed to at least patch up if not completely fix it and i'm running about 50 FPS now. Thanks for the help.

Strange..... After I did the clean install today and played it seemed fine but now it's doing the same thing but it only takes longer to do this. Some games it is not annoying because it doesn't lower my fps below 30 but other I can go as low as 15 FPS. Just a note... It does not fluctuate much at all (No spikes or drops really) besides just losing FPS from the initial drop and a little more until it feels like stopping.

GPU failure a good possibility, I had a sapphire 9600 pro that performed worse than a extreme 2. Worked like that for 6 years until it upped and died. One thing I noticed was flash player never crashed but was really wonky, it would skip and studder. What brand is that card? I woudn't trust brands like pny and sparkle.

I don't have this problem on non-steam games though. So that makes me think that there is an issue with steam but I haven't had this issue with other computers that I have steam on.

Back
Top Bottom