Is this PC build good?

Johannes

Beta member
I know next to nothing when it comes to building a PC. I have read reviews of components, and looked up various system requirements for the parts to make sure it is stable. However, I really have no clue if it is any good or if there are certain changes I should make, such as whether it would be better to go with one GPU rather than 2, or if the power supply is too low.

Case: In-Win G7 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB3.0 and EZ Swap HDD Dock (Black Color)

Internal USB Extension Module: None

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case

Noise Reduction Technology: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels, and more(2)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

Coolant: Standard Coolant

Motherboard: * [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, Ultra Durableâ„¢3, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, IEEE1394a, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Video Card 2: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Video Card 3: None

Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

Data Hard Drive: None

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: None

External Optical Drive: None

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Power Protection: OPTI-UPS VS575CB 575VA/345W 6 Outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply

Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

How much are you looking to spend?

My suggestions:

Ditch video card 2 and upgrade the 7870 to a 7950.

Power supply is fine.

Lose the 16GB of 1333 in favor of 8GB of 1866 or better.

Thanks for the advice! I am looking to spend under 1350$. Right now the computer is at 1251$ after the changes I have made, and that's including the monitor. So I'm not too concerned there.

I was told that the Motherboard I have selected is not able to Crossfire. So I took your advice and changed from the two GPUs to one 7950. However the description of this Motherboard says it is able to crossfire, so I am a little confused what the limitations on that are. In case i want to Xfire in the future.

I am thinking of keeping the power supply, but I was also told that standard power supplies are not so great.

I have also changed from 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand), to 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory. Which hopefully is what you were referring to.

Finally I was told that the sound absorbing technologies were unnecessary in this computer. Is this true?

Sorry if I come off as completely clueless, but I really am.

I was told that the Motherboard I have selected is not able to Crossfire. So I took your advice and changed from the two GPUs to one 7950. However the description of this Motherboard says it is able to crossfire, so I am a little confused what the limitations on that are. In case i want to Xfire in the future.

That board does support Crossfire but it's not the most ideal setup since the seconed PCIe slot is physically x16 but only x4 electrically. This would result in less bandwidth for the second card. If you want to run Crossfire, go with a 990FX chipset.

I am thinking of keeping the power supply, but I was also told that standard power supplies are not so great.

What brand is the standard power supply? As far as wattage, it'll be ok.

I have also changed from 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand), to 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory. Which hopefully is what you were referring to.

Yes, looks good! :thumb:

Finally I was told that the sound absorbing technologies were unnecessary in this computer. Is this true?

Yes, lose it unless you want it to be ultra quiet and run warm. Gaming PCs are rarely quiet. At full load, mine sounds like a vacuum cleaner on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier during take off and landing drills.

Sorry if I come off as completely clueless, but I really am.

We're here to help!

I don't see a brand listed, but the power supply is coming from Cyberpowerpc.com. So I assume that's the brand.

Again, thanks for all the help!

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but would it be a good move to change my GPU from an AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card, to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card? I'm thinking I may want to use advanced Physx.

Also what is the difference between the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card? I realize it says "Ti" in the first one. but I have no idea if that means something.

Back
Top Bottom