Slow internet speed

Remy8000

Solid State Member
Firstly, I hope that I am posting in the right place so apologies if I am not and please advise if I need to post somewhere else.

I.ve just had fibre optic broadband installed today and it's giving me a download speed of 25 MB. However it still seems incredibly slow...most pages taking more than 8 seconds to load. I was expecting it to be much more efficient than that.

On our ipads and iphone it is like lightening. So something is pointing to the PC lagging. Will adding more RAM help the situation?

PC Hewlett Packard Pavilion
64 Dual Athalon processors 440 + 230 Ghz
64 bit operating system
2.00 gb RAM

I am using Windows 7 Utimate and Google Chrome. I had the whole PC wiped last week it previously was Vista and I.ve had Windows 7 installed for a week.

Thank you for your reply

Remy

Last edited:
Thank you I have tried your suggestions and it hasn't improved. I thought maybe it was the Virus programme causing it. I am using Avast. I disabled it and put AVG on and that made it even worse!! So back to Avast.

Hi. .

Computer is wirless USB. Engineer suggested this would be better because phone line connection is around 10ft away from PC on desktop and it would require loads of cable...(maybe he wanted an easy life) ! I did phone internet provider (TT) last night and they said that they would send another booster switcher which should help things. So don't know if that will help

We are able to use our ipad/phones all Ok in different rooms and upstairs from the router. Which makes me think its something with the PC. But I.m no technician. (Just a blonde woman lol)

I.ve tried rebooting the router and I am using Chrome as my brower. Only task bars that I have open is my favourites.

Am I looking at the system performance in Task Manager?

CPU Usage is flicking between 5%, and 100% but mainly resting for a few seconds around 18 - 25%

Memory is sitting at 1.16 GB to 1.21GB I have 2gb installed on the machine.

Thank you

Last edited:
Yesterday it said down load 23 mega bytes. But today its saying 10 meg download

Each page is taking around 8 seconds to load. I was expecting it to be around a couple of seconds at the best. It doesn't seem much faster from when I was only getting .5 meg on old internet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom