Need advice building first time

Ct yankee

Beta member
Hey all,
This will be my first time building a computer for gaming and was looking for some advice. My goal really is to be able to play any current pc game on max settings. So far I have the following in mind
-i7 3930 k 3.2 hz
-asus rampage extreme iv mb
-g skill rip jaws 64 gb (8gb by 8)ddr3
- Samsung 840 pro series 512 ssd
- 1200 watt cooler master silent pro gold series
- windows 7 64 bit
- GeForce 660 ti
If this sounds ridiculous, like I said, first time builder :)
Thanks again for any help you give, just wanting to make sure all my components are more or less level with one another to prevent bottle necking. I was worried the gpu is a bit behind the times

Last edited:
You seriously don't need 64GB of ram, Depending on which edition of Windows you will be using some can only recognise and use certain amounts of ram. You don't need this amount of ram unless you'll be running multiple servers or VM-Ware.

Windows 7 (64 bit)
Windows 7 Ultimate: 192 GB
Windows 7 Enterprise: 192 GB
Windows 7 Professional: 192 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium: 16 GB
Windows 7 Home Basic: 8 GB
Windows 7 Starter: N/A
, See here http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Standar...Windows-recognize-all-of-my-memory/ta-p/39570

Last edited:
-i7 3930 k 3.2 hz
-asus rampage extreme iv mb
-g skill rip jaws 64 gb (8gb by 8)ddr3
- Samsung 840 pro series 512 ssd
- 1200 watt cooler master silent pro gold series
- windows 7 64 bit
- GeForce 660 ti

Definitly dont need that much RAM, i upgraded to 32 from 16 a while ago now, other than my WEI going up i have experience no difference in speed. And even the most demanding games use a maximum of 6GB. Save the money and put it towards a better GPU.

Also i confused as to why you need a 1200w power supply, you powering Tri-Sli-Titans? You'll Get away with a 800w with upgrades. For a better reference try using this: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

You might want to add a HDD, i have 2x 256GB SSD's and they fill up really quick. Thats why i now need a HDD (looking at the WD Black Drive).

Just so you know you wont benefit from 6 cores while gaming, the six cores come to use when multi-tasking (alot) or rendering (videos/3D). If you just want a quick possessor the 3770K actually benches faster for everyday tasks. ~But i'm not going to say you should change it, because its not that you should, you just could to save some money.

Other than that it seems pretty sweet on a nice budget. Hope this Helped.

Thanks bk 123,
This type of information is exactly what I'm looking for. So would it be fair to say windows 7 ultimate, proffessional or enterprise is the best version for access to available memory?

Thanks jake, yeah it looks like I'll be swapping some RAM for a better GPU, wasn't aware of the restrictions on it. What windows and gpu would you recommend? I would like to stay with nvidea

Thanks bk 123,
This type of information is exactly what I'm looking for. So would it be fair to say windows 7 ultimate, proffessional or enterprise is the best version for access to available memory?

I'd say home premium, professional and ultimate versions would be fine, There would be no need to get enterprise as ultimate already has most of the features that enterprise has.

First, what is your budget?

Second, you should have a balanced system if you're gaming. You put together something that is too much CPU and not enough graphics performance.

Don't get me wrong, the 660ti is a nice card but something like a 780, 690, or a 7990 would be at home in that rig.

64GB of RAM is complete overkill, unless you're running a SQL server or you want a 32GB RAM disk. In any case, 8GB would be enough and 16GB would fit in nicely. The only time I ever use more than 8GB of RAM in my machine is when I fire up one of my virtual machines.

Too much PSU, granted a bit of overkill is never a bad thing. Like others have said, use this:

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Get a spinner for storage. If you want higher performance storage, RAID 0 a pair of spinners.

What case do you plan on stuffing all this in? Definitely should not be overlooked.

Thanks jake, yeah it looks like I'll be swapping some RAM for a better GPU, wasn't aware of the restrictions on it. What windows and gpu would you recommend? I would like to stay with nvidea

I think 7 Pro is probably the best around, has all the things you need, supports all networks etc (and in your case a high amount of RAM).

Check this out for more help:
167444-windows7_editions_guide_original.jpg

something like a 780, 690, or a 7990 would be at home in that rig.

I agree, as i said the CPU is OTT for gaming, and would put towards a much better GPU, the 7990 is a great card. Although £200 more than the 780, it performs much better, and most modern games are going to be AMD optimised because of consoles being powered by them. Check out the bench scores:

AnandTech | Bench - GPU13

I have a cooler master haf 922 picked out. 2 200 mm fans, 2 80 mm fans with a cooler master Evo 212.
I'm willing to spend $2500
A balanced system is what I'm going for. For a game which uses a lot of RAM, (in this case rome 2 tw) , would you recommend amd for a gpu or nvidea?
Thinking the gpu will have to be swapped

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom