c++ game programming book

jaywash

Baseband Member
Do you guys know of any really good game programming books that use c++? What i need is one that assumes you have no know knowledge of c++ and only teachers you the game stuff and how to use the functions and stuff for games only. Price doesn't matter, just means ill have to save for longer. All help extremely appreciated.

Oh and no visual c++ ones, im not a fan of visual, just personal preference

What you're looking for is going to be almost impossible to find. The simple fact is you can't learn how to create a game without going through the basics first.

You'll find plenty of books that'll create mini games as part of their lessons, but if you're looking for one to take you from novice to full-blown game creator then I think you'll be looking for a book for a long, long time.

What you're looking for is going to be almost impossible to find. The simple fact is you can't learn how to create a game without going through the basics first.

You'll find plenty of books that'll create mini games as part of their lessons, but if you're looking for one to take you from novice to full-blown game creator then I think you'll be looking for a book for a long, long time.

What I meant was, one that still goes over the basics, but only shows you how to use them for games

Games are like any other software. The end result of the code is the same. If you're just interested in how games work or writing hacks you're going to have to learn the basics first.

What I meant was, one that still goes over the basics, but only shows you how to use them for games

As others have said, you'll want to pick up a book on the basics first, preferably one that doesn't go into games.

C++ is a hideously complicated, extensive language and in practice, pretty much everyone that works with it works with a subset of it. You say you just want the basics that you can use with games, but in reality the basics you learn for any purpose will be useful for games (which you'll have to learn a great deal more for also.)

So if you still want to go down this road pick up a basic C++ book, and then (and only then) look for one that concentrates more on game development, assuming you know the basics. Two books (or more) are much better than one here.

As others have said, you'll want to pick up a book on the basics first, preferably one that doesn't go into games.

C++ is a hideously complicated, extensive language and in practice, pretty much everyone that works with it works with a subset of it. You say you just want the basics that you can use with games, but in reality the basics you learn for any purpose will be useful for games (which you'll have to learn a great deal more for also.)

So if you still want to go down this road pick up a basic C++ book, and then (and only then) look for one that concentrates more on game development, assuming you know the basics. Two books (or more) are much better than one here.

I have a book for the basics called "Sams teach yourself C++ in 1 hour a day", seems to go over a lot of stuff so should i start there before buying a game programming book?

I have a book for the basics called "Sams teach yourself C++ in 1 hour a day", seems to go over a lot of stuff so should i start there before buying a game programming book?

I'm not familiar with that book in particular (or many C++ books at all actually), but yes - start with such a book that covers the basics, understand them thoroughly, then head on from there.

I'm not familiar with that book in particular (or many C++ books at all actually), but yes - start with such a book that covers the basics, understand them thoroughly, then head on from there.
Alrighty, but I still need to know a good game programming book for afterwards XD

I'd add that it's also essential to consider which operating system (and therefore which windowing system) is your target platform, as the book will need to be specific to that.

For example, NeHe's website @ gamedev.net has lots of exceptional game programming tutorials on - but are entirely Windows focused in the context of windowing i.e. they use the traditional Windows theme for the viewing and event handling (mouse movements / key presses etc.) - whereas many other online tutorials and books use GLUT (the OpenGL Utility Toolkit) which is a cross platform window manager.

Something to keep in mind!

Back
Top Bottom