Emails and the police - England

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveD87

Beta member
I started to receive emails from somebody forwarding supposed emails from my girlfriend. My girlfriend claims they weren't from her originally, though I'm not sure at the moment. Anyway, the emails came from numerous accounts, and each time I blocked an account, a new one was created, sending me an email that my girlfriend has supposedly written about me. I reported the email accounts to the police, and they told me to just block them, but when I told them a new account would pop up they took in all of the email accounts. This was about three weeks ago now, and the emails seem to have stopped. Will the police do anything?

Anyway, yesterday I received a different type of email from a @live.com account. The email says that someone has attempted, but failed, to access my email account. It then lists details of the OS, the IP, the browser, an estimated location, and the last two digits of a phone number. The estimated location points to where my girlfriend lives. The last two digits of the phone number are the same as my girlfriends phone number. It doesn't mention my girlfriends name or anything like that.

Now, I'm not sure if this email is legitimate, because when I mentioned it to her she said she's never tried to access my email account. I've tried to reply to the email but I get a delivery failure.

Now I'm wondering, if I were to report this email account to the police, would they do anything with that? Or not? Is this fraud or not? Can, and would the police trace an email account in these situations?

I can ignore it, but all this is playing on my mind a bit. I'm starting to doubt my girlfriend a bit, and don't know what's real and what's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom