Re-install OS

Gregavi

Solid State Member
I have an older Gateway Desktop that I wanted to use as a server. It has a bunch of junk including malware and who knows what on it. I was trying to just re-install the OS in order to just wipe it clean and start over. I have done this several times to this PC in the past with satisfactory results. The problem I am having is the recovery disc seems to be damaged and it cannot be read by my DVD drive. I have the "Product ID" and Product Key" numbers documented. The original "Genuine Windows XP Home Edition" sticker is still on the back. Is there a way for me to re-installed the OS using what I have, or should I buy a new recovery disc. I have seen what seems to be the exact recovery disc that I have for sale a few weeks ago but held off on buying it.

I cannot boot to windows because it is locked in a state where it is asking for a password at login. I never set a password so I don't have a password to enter. I have tried entering nothing and other default type passwords with no results. I have tried starting in safe mode-nothing different.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You should be able to get a copy of XP Home and use the product key that you already have otherwise contact gateway and see if you can order new disks.

You should be able to get a copy of XP Home and use the product key that you already have otherwise contact gateway and see if you can order new disks.

Thanks for the quick response. Where would I get a copy of "XP Home"? You talking about a torrent maybe? And then use my own key to make it legit?

If you know a friend who has a copy see if they will lend it or buy from them, You can use torrent but its against the rules here to provide links to them but I wouldn't recommend them because of viruses that maybe lurking inside them.

Definitely don't want to break any rules. I don't know if any of my friends would have one. I might try ebay also.

Back
Top Bottom