20 year old technology???

Mac

Beta member
I am trying to get an understanding on several computer history/computer science topics but I will start with a simple one.

Apple's Darwin (don't know if its an OS or a kernel or a shell) is from NeXT (Job's company begun around 1987 and bought by apple in 97). Cocoa (whatever an API is) was also part of what they were working on at NeXT. So, are we essentially still using flashier versions of 15 to 25 year old technology (i.e. A GUI running on top of 20-year-old technology). And for that matter since it is "built on Unix" does that mean that at the kernel (or shell) is from 1969? (Before anyone says it, yes, I realize that it all boils down to Binary Code which stems from the 40s).

(Before anyone says it, yes, I realize that it all boils down to Binary Code which stems from the 40s).

If you were to set sail on a ship and make a journey across the ocean, you would certainly bring along wood to repair the ship.

Let's say that over the course of this journey, you replaced every single board on that ship.

Is it still the same ship?

You kind of answered your own question, but then again the answer is going to depend on who you ask.

That's kind of like asking an evolutionist "When did the human race begin?"

That's just my opinion though... I could be wrong. :whistling:

Speaking of computer history, did you know that the very first computer was developed by the US military to calculate ballistics so they could figure out aiming trajectories more quickly than the enemy?

(Before anyone says it, yes, I realize that it all boils down to Binary Code which stems from the 40s).
try 1801 with the jacquard loom.

Darwin is mostly built on top of BSD. but then lots of things are, including originally the Microsoft networking components.

So yes, it's reasonably fair to say that OSX has it's roots in the 60s. and Unix, and C

strangely Dennis Ritchie died just one week after Steve jobs. the world cried for the man who gave us shiny bricks. nobody seemed to even know who the man who created C and co-created Unix. that's only the stuff that allows the shiny bricks to work...

Back
Top Bottom