Laptop overheating

ARBrad

Solid State Member
Hey there, computer forums people,

So I have an issue. I just bought myself an HP G60-117us (used, because being 16 I don't really have tons of money). It's been working fine, but I noticed on day one that it was getting hot. Upon installing speedfan, I found that the CPU cores were hitting 110 degrees Celsius!

Any ideas how I can get this machine to stop getting so darn hot? I'm worried about damaging the CPU and whatnot.

What were you doing with the laptop when it hit 110°C?

Did you collect data for analysis (other than temperature)?

I was watching a YouTube video, with the power settings on "Balanced". I switched to "Power saver" and it runs cooler, but not as fast.

I believe the processor was bouncing between the 30-40% usage range.

Consider the surface you are resting your laptop on... Make sure there is proper airflow between the surface of the laptop. Also, make sure that the fan itself is spinning - you need to observe this carefully!

If the problem persist i recommend a technician.

Consider the surface you are resting your laptop on... Make sure there is proper airflow between the surface of the laptop. Also, make sure that the fan itself is spinning - you need to observe this carefully!

If the problem persist i recommend a technician.

On a desk, with one of those laptop cooling pads, I hit 94c. Fan is spinning, but the heat coming out the exhaust vent is quite warm.

I vacuumed out the fan and shot some compressed air to loosen up any dust.

I believe it's my GPU that's the problem. The CPU is only hitting ~75c max, but the GPU is reaching upper 90's.

Specs on that machine:
Product Specifications | HP® Support

Check the bios for a cooling fan setting. Being an AMD based machine it may have Cool and Quiet. If it does you need to turn that off and make the cooling sensor more aggressive.
The way modern laptops are designed the two main chips share a cooling setup. What you select for the CPU cooling will affect the cooling of the GPU.
What's good for the CPU in this case is not good for the GPU.
And speedfan is not good for a laptop.The fan setting may have an adverse effect on the cooling. I use Coretemp found here > Core Temp

Last edited:
Specs on that machine:
Product Specifications | HP® Support

Check the bios for a cooling fan setting. Being an AMD based machine it may have Cool and Quiet. If it does you need to turn that off and make the cooling sensor more aggressive.
The way modern laptops are designed the two main chips share a cooling setup. What you select for the CPU cooling will affect the cooling of the GPU.
What's good for the CPU in this case is not good for the GPU.
And speedfan is not good for a laptop.The fan setting may have an adverse effect on the cooling. I use Coretemp found here > Core Temp

I don't see any mention of fan settings or Cool and Quiet in BIOS. Core Temp is giving me a different reading than Speedfan. Currently, I'm at 55c idling, 70c watching the same YouTube video, under the same conditions where I was hitting 98c. Would a bad battery cause heating problems? Mine is only lasting an hour off of the charger on a full charge.

They warm up a bit, 98-100c
OK, I asked because cooling pads are useless in many cases. Cooling is a delicate thing. It is not just about bringing a fan to the machine, but about air flow, too. If the flow introduced by your cooling pad disrupts the intended air flow, you might be worse off with the pad.

Back
Top Bottom