I'm new to the building part.

funnynon

Solid State Member
I'd like to know if the parts i've chosen would work together well/what i could change.
Intel Core i5-3350P, EVGA GeForce GTX 670, Rosewill REDBONE U3 - My custom build - funnynon's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker

I'm not new to computers, not in the least. But i am new to the building of computers. I've had the same crappy laptop for the past few years, and I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm going to be using it for gaming mainly, and the budget is a bit tight. ($1,000 at the most.)

Also, is it better to have 4 GB of ram, or 8GB?

8 gig is always better then 4. also 16 gig is better then 8. how much better depends on what applications you are running.
in todays modern computers, having 4 gig is considered the minimum among to have in a system. and sense RAM is cheap these days, you should definitely go for 8 gigabyte. it's better for the system. windows will use more RAM to make the system faster, instead of saving it.

i can see you have chosen a 1x8 kit. i'll go for a 2x4 kit if i where you. it will alow the RAM to work together in dual channel mode.
i think a slim DVD drive is gonna look funny in that computer. you should properly chose a non slim DVD drive.

Most important of all: "CHOSE A BETTER PSU"
It's only a 350W. when gaming it's gonna be using more then 80% it's maximum power delivery.
it's not healthy for your PSU and power bill... and it's gonna be hot and noisy.

other then that it looks like a fin PC.

he should get a better one. when choosing a PSU, you have to think about what kind of system you are building.
the Stallion 400W is gonna have bad power efficiency (especially when gaming). it's so bad that it doesn't even have an 80+ Certification.
rather go for a Corsair CX500. it's ONLY 8-10 bucks more. It has 100W more AND it's 80+ Bronze Certified.

Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (CX500) - PCPartPicker

The CPU you're getting has a heatsink/fan included and they work well enough. No need for the aftermarket HS/F.

Get a 520 watt Seasonic PSU similar to mine. They are more reliable and offer more protection against voltage spikes and blackouts.

I think the minimum wattage for a PSU if you were to be gaming would be 600W-700W, They are quite cheap..

I'll agree. for a gaming setup with that chosen hardware, a PSU with more then 600W would be ideal.
A 500W Good quality PSU would still work though.
i recommended this 500W PSU because it seems that he is gonna cheap out on the PSU (because he went from a 350W to an only 400W) then MUCH rather get the one i recommended because it's only silly 8-10 bucks more, and it's miles better.

The CPU you're getting has a heatsink/fan included and they work well enough. No need for the aftermarket HS/F.

Agree. The stuck cooler would do just fine. the money can easily be spend better on something else... like a better PSU.

Get a 520 watt Seasonic PSU similar to mine. They are more reliable and offer more protection against voltage spikes and blackouts.
can you post a link with the cooler you are talking about.
Seasonic makes more then 1 cooler with 520W

Last edited:
Only thing I'm going to add to this is to get a UPS. Not only do they offer surge protection, it lets you shut down your system instead of crashing.
APC as far as I'm concerned makes the best ones out there for home and small office use. If you're near an office supply store you can get them there for less money.

Back
Top Bottom