Website Hosting HELP.

If you want to play around.

either go to Welcome to The Apache Software Foundation!, and PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor and MySQL Cluster 7.3 GA and download and install those three things to a computer to make either a LAMP (Linux apache MySql PHP) server or a WAMP (windows etc) server that you can use to develop locally.
(honestly that's how I start all my website projects).

you browse to localhost in your web browser, it's faster to load as it's local, and easier to update (no need to worry about transferring files over flaky FTP links, or uploading in rubbish web based file managers).
and it's free, so you're not going to waste any money on hosting whilst you're learning or developing your site.

When you've got a website that you want to actually put online, then I recommend a company called Meirhosting.
their US based hosting is £11.99 GBP per year (so less than £1 a month (that's about $1.50 cents per month at todays exchange rate)
hosting on UK based servers is £14.99 a year, (so slightly more expensive).
the only catch is that you pay for the year upfront.

if you will commit to two or three years it gets cheaper still.

what they lack in the flexibility of a monthly payment plan they make up for in payment options, (card/nochex/paypal) so it's pretty easy to actually get the hosting.
(they do offer domain registration too, but I already have an account with a different provider for that). I last used meirhosting as a registrar about eight years ago, they were fast/friendly efficient then I can't see why they would have changed now.

I use WAMP for website development. VB4 is a seriously heavy piece of software but WAMP runs it rather well on my laptop.

Back
Top Bottom