DNS settings

sbevan

Beta member
Hi,
Can anyone help. My website was with a hosting company Ipage, the domain is registered to them but I have changed my hosting company to smackhunt. When i enter my web address on my computer it is pinging to my old server not the new one. I have deleted my browsing history that did not work. A member from smackhunt took control of my computer and tried various things, still not working. this morning I decided to uninstall my browsers and re-install, that did not work. When I enter ping fusionembroidery.co.uk in just-ping, it is the correct ip address but on doing it in cmd it comes up with old ip address. What can I do to solve this, as I am unable to work on my site.
Any help would be appreciated.

If the domain name belongs to Ipage and you have left them, then you can't use it. It will keep going back to their IP. If in fact they do own it you'll have to register a new name for your website with some one like GoDaddy and point the DNS for the new name to where your website is now.
FYI > Domain names belong to whomever has them registered until the time limit expires. GoDaddy is good for name registration but bad for hosting. If you go with them get the domain name for 2 years minimum. That way you have a firm grip on the name for that time period. I have all mine for 5 years but that's just me.
Good luck with your website. It takes a lot of time and hard work to make them succeeded.

Hi
Thank you for you reply. The domain is registered with ipage but I can still access the domain and make changes. I have changed the nameservers to my new hosting company. If I access the admin panel from another computer it all works fine. It is only a problem on my work computer, which is the one that I did the original website on. I have been informed that if I try to start building my site on another computer and do not do anything on my computer at work then it should clear the problem in a few days. hopefully that will work. Thank you for your help.

if you use nslookup what does the record for your site return?

type
nslookup
at the command line.
then type
set type=ANY
then type your domain name

you'll see a value marked TTL that's time to live. it tells DNS servers how long they should cache the result for.

this can be set for a long time by some name service providers, as it tells other servers to cache addresses so that they receive less traffic,
on the other hand t leads to a greater state of flux when you;re changing hosts.

imagine that the TTL is 1 hour.

at 11:55 computer 1 looks up the site and gets address A
at 12:00 you move the site. (and change the record)
at 12:05 computer 2 looks up the site and gets address b (the new site)
but computer A is still going to use the cached data and look for address A until the record expires.
so even at 12:54 computer A will still try to get to your old site.

Now imagine that TTL is a day, (or more!). and see how long it's going to take to clear up that DNS cache.

you can use ipconfig /flushdns to flush out all records on your local PC.
but that's not going to help if your home router is your DNS server because that will have cached the record, and if that get it's DNS information from your service provider, then your service provider will have cached the old data too!

Hi
Thank you so much for your reply. I have managed to solve the problem the only way I knew, that was to format the computer. It. Is all fine now.

Kind Regards
S Bevan

Back
Top Bottom