New laptop needed

Phil Whiting

Solid State Member
Hi My Toshiba is on its last legs. Can someone advise me on a replacement. I need one just for browsing, email, i player, and perhaps DVD film viewing. Nothing more really. Is there an obvious one to go for? Would it be best to buy from a shop in case it goes wrong, or is mail order ok? Can you give me advice on computer protection. Is freeware say AVG ok? Thanks. I feel a bit of a freeloader, having just joined your forums for personal gain......I could help you in return with questions about beekeeping perhaps?! Thanks.

I'd recommend: Acer, Lenovo, Dell, HP - really most are the same in my opinion. As for where, either online or in-store is fine and it should come with some sort of warranty either way (as long as it's new). You can stay away from anything that's "ultrabook" or that's touchscreen as it doesn't sound like you need them. What's your budget? What are the specs of your current laptop? Does it still perform like you want it too?

Some opinions from the members: http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/best-brand-laptop-order-222717.html

Some options on what to use for Anti-Virus:
AVG, Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials. There are other free ones, but these seem to be the most recommended here. Malwarebytes AntiMalware (free) is also recommended for spyware. Eset (Nod32) is probably the most recommended paid version.

Thanks. My current laptop has been misfiring and now won't start up. I have it 'fixed' once but that didn't last long. Its about 6 years old and well used.

Just realised, my newest one which won't start up now is in fact a Dell latitude D530. I don't think it has a particularly big spec as it was a basic one I was given by work. I think my budget would be up to £500.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

The spec has been fine as like I said, we just browse, email, and watch iplayer really.

How about this one from John Lewis?

Toshiba Satellite C855-2LJ Laptop, Intel Pentium B960, 2.2GHz, 6GB RAM, 1TB, 15.6”, Red

£370

I have just been into a big Currys and the salesman pointed me towards a Toshiba satellite C850D11Q. £286. It seems to have reasonable reviews on internet, and seems to be a reasonable price. Any thoughts? Thanks. Windows 8 doesn't seem to get a very good press. Does it take much getting used to?i

Back
Top Bottom