booting a hard drive on another computer

Amd64

Baseband Member
my laptop broke so i plugged the sata hd into my desktop. i can access files but i really need to boot from the hard drive to get my itunes backup. in the past ive deleted the partition and installed new one and worked. but that was with xp. can someone help me out . thanks alot

both have windows 7

Last edited:
If you disconnect the desktop HD and plug in the laptop HD, theoretically, you should be able to boot into it, unless, of course, there is a problem with the laptop hard drive.

If you disconnect the desktop HD and plug in the laptop HD, theoretically, you should be able to boot into it, unless, of course, there is a problem with the laptop hard drive.

Ehh yes and no, the hardware differences between the laptop and desktop may be such that it won't boot.

That being said you may be able to hook it up and at least get into safe mode with windows 7. If you're not familiar, connect that drive and after your desktop POST's press F8 until you get a menu, select Safe Mode and hit enter.

Safe mode loads into the windows install but foregoes all the unnecessary drivers, it'll be basics only but should be enough to recover.

At least to recover data, yea it should. Sounds like he needs to actually run iTunes though. Yet another reason I enjoy the all wonderful Spotify, no worries of losing all my music :)

Back
Top Bottom