Why Do We live In A Racist Society?

I think if we listen to the media everyone is racist.

Scenario:

If a middle eastern man gets on a bus with a bag sweating, looking nervous and acting suspicious. I'm likely to be scared and stereotype because let's face it and this isn't racist most if not all suicide bombers have been middle eastern men?

If a white British man gets on a bus acting the exact same way, I would probably think he's stolen something and has it in his bag.

But the chances are the media would say I was racists because I thought the middle eastern man was a terrorist.

That's not racist.

The same as this recent joke that got out of hand in Golf, someone said about asking Tiger Woods over for dinner to feed him fried chicken.
This is a stereotype, not being racist.

Stereotyping isn't great, but your not saying I dislike, hate or discriminate against that person because of their race, appearance or beliefs.

The Golfer's sponsor WAS actually going to pull out on him because of it (though I don't think they did in the end).
It's ridiculous.

The world needs to learn the difference between stereotyping and being racist.

Why is it that we live in such a racist society today?

No arguments or debates otherwise I will request for this to be locked.

I blame it on the Mexicans...

Ok, just kidding... (I have to clarify this as a joke or else a lot of people tend to lose their minds as they have no sense of humor).

Society is racist (at least in part) because racism is an easy crutch to lean on when things don't go your way. As an example, it's a lot more comfortable for some people to say they didn't get a certain job they applied for because they are (play applicable race card) instead of because they weren't qualified (or less qualified than others who applied) or interviewed badly, etc.

I think our little friend BK_123 bought this up as over hear in Australia our local VFA football has had some headlines of so called Racial abuse against some of our indigenous players.
As usual we are getting the usual Media attention to sell a story.
As for no debate here, well bad luck as this is a forum for debate.

Cheers

No it wasn't about anything in particular.

I think if we listen to the media everyone is racist.

Scenario:

If a middle eastern man gets on a bus with a bag sweating, looking nervous and acting suspicious. I'm likely to be scared and stereotype because let's face it and this isn't racist most if not all suicide bombers have been middle eastern men?

If a white British man gets on a bus acting the exact same way, I would probably think he's stolen something and has it in his bag.

But the chances are the media would say I was racists because I thought the middle eastern man was a terrorist.

That's not racist.

The same as this recent joke that got out of hand in Golf, someone said about asking Tiger Woods over for dinner to feed him fried chicken.
This is a stereotype, not being racist.

Stereotyping isn't great, but your not saying I dislike, hate or discriminate against that person because of their race, appearance or beliefs.

The Golfer's sponsor WAS actually going to pull out on him because of it (though I don't think they did in the end).
It's ridiculous.

The world needs to learn the difference between stereotyping and being racist.
+1 to this
its just common sense that you fear those that are currently the threat , in the Uk in 1995 the IRA and irish men where the ones we where suspicious of times change .

we judge people by their appearance all of the time its just natural stereotyping , we have all been guilty of it at some point . some of us might do it on a daily basis . I remember my dad used to central lock the car when we drove through certain neighborhoods ,not because we had ever been carjacked etc but just in case .interestingly in studies juries have been shown to be more likely to convict a defendant if they appear in court dressed a certain way .We all think things about people weather right or wrong based on their appearance . why do you think companies that provide a service to the public often insist on a dress code and grooming policy for staff .
would you take the advice of a lawyer/doctor/accountant seriously if they where dressed in a clown suit or a prison boiler suit ? . their clothing has no bearing on their ability to give advice in their respective fields but your judgement of their appearance effects how you treat their advice .
does that means its suddenly wrong and racist if you stereotype that a black man from the projects likes to smoke weed or a white man working as a big city accountant went to an ivy league school and has rich parents ?

I think like ssc said there's a big difference between stereotyping in that way (which isnt always a good thing dont get me wrong ) and being out and out racist and inciting violence and hating someone because of their skin color like some minorities do .

I was having an interesting discussion with my gf about racism the other week , we where discussing where a persons right to freedom of expression should be curtailed when they are being racist , I argued that the freedom of expression should be curtailed only when they attempt to incite violence against other races . So its not illegal for someone to say "I hate black/white/hispanic/oriental/middle eastern people " . But as soon as they say to their friends or anyone prepared to listen "go out and attack black/white/hispanic/oriental/middle eastern people " that should be illegal .

+1 to this
its just common sense that you fear those that are currently the threat , in the Uk in 1995 the IRA and irish men where the ones we where suspicious of times change .

we judge people by their appearance all of the time its just natural stereotyping , we have all been guilty of it at some point . some of us might do it on a daily basis . I remember my dad used to central lock the car when we drove through certain neighborhoods ,not because we had ever been carjacked etc but just in case .interestingly in studies juries have been shown to be more likely to convict a defendant if they appear in court dressed a certain way .We all think things about people weather right or wrong based on their appearance . why do you think companies that provide a service to the public often insist on a dress code and grooming policy for staff .
would you take the advice of a lawyer/doctor/accountant seriously if they where dressed in a clown suit or a prison boiler suit ? . their clothing has no bearing on their ability to give advice in their respective fields but your judgement of their appearance effects how you treat their advice .
does that means its suddenly wrong and racist if you stereotype that a black man from the projects likes to smoke weed or a white man working as a big city accountant went to an ivy league school and has rich parents ?

I think like ssc said there's a big difference between stereotyping in that way (which isnt always a good thing dont get me wrong ) and being out and out racist and inciting violence and hating someone because of their skin color like some minorities do .

I was having an interesting discussion with my gf about racism the other week , we where discussing where a persons right to freedom of expression should be curtailed when they are being racist , I argued that the freedom of expression should be curtailed only when they attempt to incite violence against other races . So its not illegal for someone to say "I hate black/white/hispanic/oriental/middle eastern people " . But as soon as they say to their friends or anyone prepared to listen "go out and attack black/white/hispanic/oriental/middle eastern people " that should be illegal .

Yeah I think something I neglected to mention was that stereotyping is still a problem and it is something that people should try harder to avoid however it happens and the whole world relies on stereotypes, but it is in now way anything like racism.

We have always been racist, and most problems that exist in our society today have existed for hundreds of years. Its just now that we have instant communication of the globe and major asshole news media that we seem to notice them more. If anything I think racism has gone down since the 1960's.

We have always been racist, and most problems that exist in our society today have existed for hundreds of years. Its just now that we have instant communication of the globe and major asshole news media that we seem to notice them more. If anything I think racism has gone down since the 1960's.

I hear you, bro. And you're right, the term "porch monkey" isn't necessarily racist. I think we should take it back...

Back
Top Bottom