How do I enable System Protection in Safe Mode on Windows 7?

keez1993

Solid State Member
I'll bullet all the information I can but it may be long winded, any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Computer kept getting BSOD so I did a system restore easily enough
  • Once finished did a check, everything looked fine. Had 90 updates to install, managed about 70 before it crashed and I got another BSOD
  • Again I done a system restore only this time instead of the sign on screen it was just a black screen, all I could see was the cursor
  • Forced shutdown my system and tried to repair system by pressing F8 but it said system could not be repaired
  • Started system in Safe Mode and I could sign on, but the option to restore system was not there
  • Tried cmd rstrui.exe but there didn't have an option to turn it on
  • Tried download Malwarebytes, said my system was clean as did Trojan Remover, I used both quick scan and full scan

Hopefully it's not to hard to see what I've done and it makes, I tried to keep it as short as possible.
From what I've read it looks to be some form of malware, but as you can see I've exhausted all the option I could find, hopefully someone here as a solution

I'm running a Lenovo G580 Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit if that's any help

Thanks in advance

If you have the option for a full restore via the hidden backup partition on most all laptops I would try that as a last resort, usually by pressing an F key, F12 etc. If that doesn't work then it could be hardware related, very frustrating also as with it being a laptop its not like you can just take a screwdriver to it and not blow your warranty. That being said I would be leaning towards the RAM or the HDD. If its just one stick of RAM then that won't help at all, but if its two, I would remove each and try them separately. You could put MEMtest on a usb stick and test your memory before the OS boots.

Thanks for the reply but i think i tried that.

I pressed F8 and went to system repair and it gave me these options (trying to remember these from memory but this is the gist of it)
  • Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • Restore from image
  • Memory Diagnostic
  • Command Promt

I don't have an image memory and when i clicked on memory diagnostic it said something has been plugged in which needs to be unplugged then computer restarted but it keeps saying it

And i tried the System Restore, i don't have any restore points so i just had to do it from scratch, i went through the options and the only one i could restore was the C drive which is what i wanted but it wouldn't let me do anything and it said the system protection needed to be enabled

(Also when i pressed F8 when i was on the screen to start in safe mode etc I tried the Memory Diagnostic option, i did a quick scan and it found nothing wrong then i tried a full scan and i think it froze at 10%

Any idea how long a full memory diagnostic should take?)

Oh it shouldn't take that long, probably an hour max. If it is the memory that is at fault then most issues should show in the first 10 or 20 minutes.

Do you have a small button near the power button called "OneKey Rescue system", apparently when booting you just hold that down and it will start the Lenovo factory reset process.

I'm guessing something caused it to crash then, i'll try again later.

I do have the onekey system yes, this is what i used when i originally restored the system but holding it in doesn't do anything when i'm on the desktop as it did before.

I also have the onekey program which is what the button obviously relates to when pushed by i get the message

Driver initalization failed.
Please reinstall application.

I'll give it a go holding it in whilst it's booting up and let you know the results

No luck, thanks for the option though.

I tried reinstalling OneKey Recovery from the Lenovo partition drive but i got an error saying windows installer couldn't be accessed, looked it up and basically i can't do anything since i'm in safe mode.

I only bought the laptop last year so it's still under the one year warranty and just before this happened I checked and my warranty expires in about 24 days.

I was hoping to avoid sending it away since I've already had a bad experience dealing with them in the past but I think I may have exhausted everything I can do.

It may be hard to answer but judging from what you've read do you think the one year warranty that came with it would cover it?

Seems you're not alone either, here's a thread with a few more options to try if you haven't already.

Lenovo G580 BSOD problems with certain application... - Page 3 - Lenovo Community

If none of this works It would make sense to take advantage of your warranty before it runs out. The worst that can happen is they send it back to you and claim there is nothing wrong with it. Attach an email explaining everything you have tried as they will probably tell you to do much of the same things. You really have nothing to lose at this point bar a couple of weeks without it.

Thanks for link but by the looks of things the BSOD is common, I've only had it twice since it's been formatted, I think I'm better off just sending it back to Lenovo, if it's a common problem I assume warranty would cover it, I'll phone them tomorrow, I appreciate all your help though, thanks

Back
Top Bottom