Upgraded Laptop CPU Screen Now Black.

Zax1108

Baseband Member
I was over at the hp compaq forums and well let's put it nicely and say they're a few fries short of a happy meal there. so I'm asking the same question here in hopes we'll get a bit better replies.

So I ran through the servic manual and found the CPU I had to upgrade with was on the list an intel T9600, the cpu is fully working. so I took it apart cleaned a few things like the heat sink. put the new cpu in, put it back tougher step by step of the sevrice manual (Mind you I've been building computers for just shy of 4 years now, never had a reason to upgrade one though)

So it starts up for 4-5 sc nothing on the screen, shuts down. press the buttion again it starts to a blink screen and just runs blink till you shut it down.

I checked the ram cards they're seated and working. the RTC battery has been unpluged and cmos reset.

How ever I did not do a bios flash so I'm to assume that's my problem.

It's a Compaq CQ60-615DX I'm not sure where to get the bios file for a install. I'm sure they have the ones for installing inside windows, so that's where I'm at.

Any ideas folks?

The first topic at their forums for laughs. Re: Compaq CQ60 CPU Upgrade. - HP Support Forum - 2664755

Am I going to need to put the old CPU back in upgrade the bios and then put the new CPU in?

It says right on the service manual that this CPU is compatible, and it's a brand new out of the box CPU so there is no shock to it or damage. I used a anti shock mat used a anti shock bracelet, I did everything as right as I could think in that sense. so it's got to be soft wear.

You 100% sure your laptop has enough watt and your motherboard is compactible with the new cpu? Also do you have a graphics card?
If not check if your new CPU has intergrated video card if not that's your problem.

You 100% sure your laptop has enough watt and your motherboard is compactible with the new cpu? Also do you have a graphics card?
If not check if your new CPU has intergrated video card if not that's your problem.

Unless this manual has incorrect info on it (Which could have been the case)

And in addition I'm also 100% sure the CPU I'm using to upgrade to is in fact a T9600 notebook and small desktop CPU. 2.80ghz 6M 1066 CPU. unless the box has false info on it haha.

Is the CPU a M model?
What laptop is it you have?

The T9600 only comes in one model. and that's mobile.

As stated in the OP it's a compaq presario cq60-615dx,

Like I stated the the service manual states the T9600 is a compatible model. so there is nothing I can think of how watts and what not could matter. it's listed as compatible.

Only thing I can think of it some reading listed that HP's before upgrading the CPU they need to have there bios flashed. and then the upgrade can take place.

Give me a link to the manual or specs you found. I'd like to check something.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Why do you guys think it's the bios?

Not really but if the system doesn't boot up with the new chip then putting back in the old one will give him access to it. I'm thinking since it comes out of the box with a Celeron it might not support a dual core cpu.

Back
Top Bottom