RAM compatibility

rmp5s1

Baseband Member
How important is it to get "compatible" RAM for a motherboard?

If the MoBo takes, say, dual channel DDR3 up to 2800mhz, isn't that all that matters? Looking at the MoBo's memory support list, I'm having a HELLUVA time finding specific RAM from the list...

"Compatible" means it works with that mother board and in most cases has been tested.
Getting the right ram is important. What mother board is it?

I try to get stuff that will play nice together but I'm having a hard time finding RAM at the speed I want that is compatible despite being the right type of memory.

Looking at an ASRock Z77 board. I keep having MoBos die on me so I'm replacing:

MoBo - this makes the third MoBo...msi to Asus to maybe ASRock

PSU - second PSU...rosewill to a corsair

RAM - third set of ram...Kingston Hyper X @1600 to G.Skill Sniper @2133 to ???

When buying new hardware always read the reviews and see what over people have had to say about them before making your final decision.

Like Setishock said its very important to make sure your ram is compatible with your motherboard. You may have heard of this tool Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer, It scans you systems ram configuration and give information about how many slots are free and how the ram is configured and will suggest suitable upgrades.

Last edited:
Mother boards dying on you? Hmmm
Deep breath. OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM

What are you doing that kills them if I may ask. Because inquiring minds want to know.

I'm really not sure what's killing it. It worked GREAT for a few months, then died (I'll give the deep deep details if inquiring minds wanna know) so I put in another mono, worked great for a few months, then it died again. Not sure what to blame at this point so I'm going to blame all of it. lol

If not on a surge strip I'd bet real money thunder boomers or power surges from dirty power. You know a UPS is a cheap investment. Office supply places have them for better prices than electronic places do.
The application of the thermal paste is another point to look at. Too much or too little can have adverse affects on a CPU chip. There's a fine line there.
As for the ram it's always best to use what is on the compatibility list. Short answer is that it's been tested and the board maker knows it works with their board.
The link BK put up works in 2 different ways. One you can install the scanner add on and let it take a look or put in the mother board model number and let it suggest the ram for it. I use Corsair myself. Works great, good price.
Last bit of advice and I have to get back to work. Take your time with a build. Don't get in a rush to throw one together. Shop. Shop some more. Keep looking for that board and other parts that will "play" well together. I shopped around and did research for 3 months before I settled on what I finally bought. I added the cooler and vid card later on.

Back
Top Bottom