prepaid smart phone question

mikee

Fully Optimized
I am looking to upgrade my current att gophone to some sort of android smartphone however I don't want to have to deal with att's 20 to 30$ go phone smart phone plans as I do not use the phone for much else other than the occasional texting and facebook so its not really worth the 20$ a month. I just want to know if i canuse the same plan of 10cents a text and 1 cent per 5kb data that I use with my current go phone.

I have a samsung galaxy player currently which only does wifi.

I want this because I want to have one device for everything music and apps and internet mainly through wifi but on the occasional time I want to be able to jump online real quick to check some things.

You can have a prepaid smartphone without data. However, if you ever switch to a normal postpaid plan, AT&T will force you to purchase a data plan, even if you purchased the phone outright.

Yeah I was watching a vid online that pretty much shows how the phone industry as a whole wants to charge for every little thing you do.
I was looking at a cheap phone to do everything. Some as cheap as 99 cents with a two year plan. But foothead's right. The data part is separate. That drove the cost up to 80.00 per month for unlimited usage.
I might go with that but rest assured, I'm going to wear that gizmo out for that much a month.

A smart phone would be nice to have every now and then but I wouldn't use it enough to warrant the $100 a month most of them cost... My internet at 20Mbps costs $56 a month and I think that's expensive, but I use the heck out of it and it's unlimited. It's not mobile, but if I'm not at school or work I'm usually at home. Not getting any kind of smart phone until I have a nice steady paycheck at a real job. Even then, I might rather have that money to use for part of a car payment than for a stupid phone I don't use much...

basically I want a android phone on att gophone and just use the 1c per 5kb standard internet that i have now since I will mainly be using it on wifi

basically I want a android phone on att gophone and just use the 1c per 5kb standard internet that i have now since I will mainly be using it on wifi

Just disable cellular data altogether. 1¢ per 5KB means $2 per megabyte. An android smartphone will run the cost up pretty quickly, even if you never open a browser. They tend to constantly sync things whenever you have a data connection. It'll mainly be things you don't even notice, like application update info, widgets, email, etc. Also, a lot of applications will automatically start syncing things when opened.

Ah ok I guess I should just stick with the setup I have now. My current non smartphone on att and just use the galaxy player for android stuff since basically I wanted something that could use google maps or check a quick fb message while not in wifi range.

Unless there is somehow a plan to quickly turn data on for a few minutes and disable background data usage just to do those things then turn it off and just pay for the data I used

Sorry for posting on this old thread but I actually got my dads old blackberry bold unlocked it and put my gophone sim in it and it works for texting and internet. I'm in canada right now and I had 25$ in the account and now it is at 1 cent. I think I tried using the data once to load this forum as a test and that is it I'm looking at my gophone statement now and it says:

5/29/2013 05:26:09 PM CDT International Roaming GPRS $25.12

I looked under details and it says this:

Call Information:

Type International Roaming GPRS
Nature of Call International
Number Called
Calling Number 16418146104
Call Date 05/29/2013
Call Time 05:26:09 PM
Timezone US/Eastern
Call Duration 0min 0sec
Total Amount $25.12
Service Used -
Unit(s) Charged Not Applicable
Call Location -,-,Canada

WHat might have happened here? Did they actually automatically discover that I am using a smartphone now and automatically sign me up for the 20$ plan or something? Or was this just international data usage charge?

The money on my account was going to expire sometime in june and I won't be back in the US until mid August so the money was as good as gone anyway. I'm just wondering what this charge might have been

Roaming charges are the biggest killer when out side your country.....
It pays to read your terms & conditions as your phone rates will change when roaming.

Back
Top Bottom